Formac Studio problems

M

me_again

Hi all,

I have posted this on several other forums and everyone is 'out of ideas' .

Trying to capture vhs movie tapes to digital via the Formac Studio but getting massive frame loss.

This is nothing to do with system or software as the Formac will capture perfectly from an analogue camcorder or dv camcorder.
The tapes are not protected with macrovision or anything like that, they are good quality and can be viewed perfectly on a tv screen.
To make it more confusing, if I plug the vcr into my old ati capture card, it will capture the tapes without a hitch. Only problem is the old ati card will not capture in the format I require.

Have tried the Formac Studio on 3 different macs, 7 different pc's and 4 laptops, all of which allowed excellent recording from analogue camcorders but dodgy frame loss with vcr tapes ???

Also tried many different software apps and as many codecs as I could possibly find.

Any comments ?

p.s. Tried 4 different vcr's with all the systems mentioned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Welcome to Mac-Forums!

have you tried any 3rd party apps, like Vidi? since i dont own a formac, i couldnt check if i could change the frame rate.

OP
M

me_again

Hi,

I have tried them all and more.
The frame rate can be adjusted in oftware apps, the best is a program called iuvcr for win.

The formac studio will work on both pc and mac and believe it or not - its slightly better on a pc !

This problem is purely to do with the video signal from the vcr, there is something about it that the formac does not like.

Also tried an ADS usb dvd device and the results are the same.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
are you using S-Video or RCA into the formac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.