Black screen of death

Reaction score
Sorry if this thread has come up before, I cant find one

Since loading the Mountain Lion upgrade I have been plagued by the black screen with loads of white literature on bootup this only occurs after shut down and the mains has been switch off.
I have tried resetting the PRAM many times, in the end I got so fed up I down loaded Mountain Lion again reformatted the hard drive, then went through the nausea of loading every thing again. After many hours of trying to get things back together and saving the new setup to time machine I am getting The Black screen of Death that comes on with startup after being discontinued from the mains with loads of white literature then type EXIT, unless I hold the Alt key on startup and select the hard drive.

Whats going wrong. Any help and suggestions welcome. (oh forget the box of matches)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Unless I'm mistaken that's single user mode, used to debug a broken installation of OS X. If you type exit does it go into the GUI normally? If you can get out of single user bootup, your problem should be fixed..

OP
I
Reaction score
Hi Raz0rEdge
Many thanks for your answer.
Yes on typing exit it does fire up properly into the GUI.
I have now altered the settings in system within system preferences by unlocking, selecting all users with full access then re-locking. Will see what happens on next fire up.
Kind regards

OP
I
Reaction score
Sussed it out eventually. It all came to light when I tried to do a Hardware test and nothing happened, so I printed out the page 34 and tried again from a mains off boot up, still nothing. All this time I have been using a wireless keyboard and mouse, so I went into the loft to search for the USB keyboard the iMac came with and started again tried to do a hardware test again, no test came up but it did go into the proper Apple bootup. Replaced the wireless equipment and all still works as normal.
No idea why the wireless keyboard gave the problem, this is for Apple to sort out, not me I'm happy all is OK.
As its working I'm not going to try and fix it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.