Verizon Hot spot

Reaction score
I have been using AT&T for my internet provider, my computer slowed to a crawl, my wife's laptop the same. So i purchased a Hot Spot. Her laptop is better, my desktop is slightly better, i use Safari and clean it using clean my mac, I also used Onyx as someone suggested. They signed me up for 8mb. The hotshot turns itself off after a while so we need to check it before we use it. That's a pain as it's upstairs and the wife's laptop is downstairs. Is this a reliable service? It's not cheap however the land line is clogged, so many neighbors are on the same line i think Im getting a trickle. Advice/comments/ Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
AT&T is DSL, yes?

If so, that's not a shared, segmented network like cable. It should be a direct connection (i.e. not shared with your neighbors). It sounds like you need to have a conversation with AT&T. Did you do any testing with speedtest.net to see if you were actually getting the bandwidth you're paying for.

OP
K
Reaction score
I never tested it. According to some sales people around in the neighborhood lately AT&T installed fiber optic and admitted to the line being jammed with too many subscribers on it, I have no idea. They claim to have installed a line to my home specifically for this new U verse system they are offering. Every time i asked for Internet only it is met with "we ALL bundle" TV, phone and internet is what they sell. My AT&T connection doesn't even work right now. After 3 tries with a person last week to re configure it, again, I gave up and went to Verizon as we upgraded to new i phone's . I am lost at this point, all i want is internet and I am frustrated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't how AT&T configures their U-Verse fiber optic system. But if they say the line is jammed with too many customers, it must be similar to a standard cable connection. Cable DSL is a shared connection.

You said you switched to Verizon. Do they offer FIOS in your area? The Verizon fiber optic connections are just like telephone DSL connections in that it's "private" and not shared with the entire neighborhood.

OP
K
Reaction score
No Fios in our area as far as I am aware of, most use the AT&T service. I see the cable company active again on my street so i think some folks are switching to them. My question goes back to the "hotspot". Pro's / cons? One thing is I get full bars of service at the house.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
AT&T U-Verse uses FTTN (fiber to the node) to the VRAD, and then goes to customer premise over copper. It should not be getting clogged as the VRAD's are capable of 500+ lines per box and these things are literally in every neighborhood. Call AT&T and have them check the line, check for bridge taps (this can kill speed), and check where the copper comes to your house. AT&T DSL should give you useable speed most of the time.

The hot spots can work great, but not really designed to be an on all the time connection. You can change the timeout on the device through the web portal, but I don't think that you can eliminate it all together. There are mobile broadband routers available that can accept a USB stick, and those are active all the time. I think the most that you can do on your hotspot is up the timeout to an acceptable level.

OP
K
Reaction score
I just got off with AT&T. i ordered U verse service and the new equipment is on it's way. It will be replacing the DSL service. Early in the Am or late at night or service is usable but during the day, nope. I am returning the Verizon hotspot as soon as the new stuff it arrives. I agree with what you said and thanks for the feedback,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.