iPad WiFi Internet Question

Reaction score
Hi all, I am thinking about getting an iPad on WiFi only as I can't afford the 3G version. Question is I have an iPhone 4S on O2 network and was wondering if its possible to share my phones internet via WiFi with the iPad?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to check with your iPhone carrier to see if they allow that without an additional charge. Ask them about using your iPhone to create a WiFi "hotspot".

OP
H
Reaction score
Hmm so it is possible to share but it depends on the network?

You need to check with your iPhone carrier to see if they allow that without an additional charge. Ask them about using your iPhone to create a WiFi "hotspot".

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
All networks allow it, most charge extra for it. In the US, every smartphone has a voice plan and a data plan (capped to something), and if you want to use the smartphone as a hotspot/tethering, then you have to pay extra for that before it is available for use. Some people were doing this for free after jailbreaking their phones, but the carriers figured it out and shut them down..

So as chscag said, call your carrier and see if they'll allow you to do it for free, if not, see how much they're going to charge you..

Reaction score
IPad location services

I have a related query. I have an iphone4 (AT&T) which has hotspot activated. I just purchased an iPad 3 wifi and was told by the apple store (and apple support senior tech later) that location services would work via hotspot on iPhone. I have discovered that when I am in area in which I have 3G service but no wifi sites visible, location services cannot find me. From this performance I assume that ipad must be able to hear at least one router for this to work even though I am not connected to wifi at all. Wonder why this is so since iPhone has location data available whether wifi is in area or not - via cell site ID and GPS?? I hate to spend the additional $129 to obtain info that should be available. Any thoughts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.