10.8.2 - Lock screen not accepting password

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MBP, Mini x2
Hi folks,

I just updated my new(ish) MBA to 10.8.2, and am having a rather inconvenient problem. Every time my lock screen pops up, it doesn't accept my password anymore. If I power cycle the machine I can log in with the same password with no problem - it just won't unlock with it.

I've had the same password for a couple of months now (it hasn't been changed recently) and I'm not running any third party password managers or anything like that.

My first thought is that perhaps it's a corrupt keychain, but before I start breaking things - has anyone run into this?

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Thread moved - this is a OS X issue, not iOS..

Did the screen lock and password work before you updated to 10.8.2? I will try it out tonight and see what my iMac does..

OP
Seventh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MBP, Mini x2
Whoops - sorry for the mis-post. I swear my eyeballs saw OSX! :)

Yeah - it worked fine before the 10.8.2 upgrade, and started locking me out immediately after.

Reaction score
10.8.2 won't recognize my password

I'm having the same problem. The system asks me for my password, but won't recognize the one I have been using for months. The password box shakes every time I enter the password. I went to Users and Groups, but it was no help. The only option it offered was to "change password", which requires that you have an existing password. Can someone help me with this? I don't think Ihad this problem before 10.8.2.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've seen this happen now with several other members of our forum who recently updated. What has worked is go back to the Apple download section and download - install the 10.8.2 combo update. Here is the LINK.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.