Broken emac

Reaction score
Hi peeps. ive owned my emac g4 (the masive white one) for some years now it broke a few years ago so it went into the loft. a few days ago i realised that i had photos and music files etc so i brought it down from the loft but when i turned it on the screen was blank but it made the usual mac sound when switching on, My question is can i retrieve the information thats stored on the hardrive? as i really dont want to loose all thats stored on there.

Many Thanks

Chris

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My question is can i retrieve the information thats stored on the hardrive? as i really dont want to loose all thats stored on there.

Sure. Remove the hard drive…install it into an external hard drive case…then plug it into a USB port on another Mac.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
If the eMac boots and is chiming, there's a chance that the fault may only relate to the display. If so you can start it connected to another Mac in target firewire mode and access the HD without dismantling.

If that isn't possible, you'll need an ATA case for the drive, not the more popular SATA type.

OP
R
Reaction score
ok so im a total amatuer at computers but want to do it all myself. can anyone explain exactly what i have to do and explain what a ATA case is please. dont want to pay someone to do it. Learn by doing. ive found a step by step link for removing the hard drive just need to know what to do after its removed

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.