Reccomended mac cleaning software....

Reaction score
Hi All.
Can anyone please advise on the best most reliable Mac cleaning software.
Free download or buy on line job ???.
I have read several items advising not to download MacKeeper but lots of people including my local iSolutions shop advise its good to use.

Can anyone PLEASE advise which is the best to have..!!.

Many thanks .
Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi, you are right to ask the question before you dive in. I think we've all stopped beating around the bush here with MacKeeper and would advise that you absolutely DO NOT install it.

Lots of forum members use and recommend the free app ONYX as an enhanced maintenance tool but to be honest you will find everything you need in your OSX for example Disk Utility.

OP
A
Reaction score
Many thanks for the advise... Where would i find the Disk Utility ?.
Sorry but im not 100% 'offey' with the working of computers.
All i know is the apperance of the multi coloured spinning icon is more frequent.
Cheers..
Alex

Hi again.
Ive just noticed that CCleaner is now avail for the Mac.
I use this on my Laptop and fine it quite good.

Anyone use it ?

What about 'cleanmymac'

Any good ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about 'cleanmymac'

Any good ?

Do a search on the forum for these apps and see what stories have been told about them.

you honestly don't need them.

I found a thread for you here http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/285782-macbook-running-slow.html

You will find Disk Utility in your Applications folder..open it, highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click 'repair disk permissions'. Go and put the kettle on as it may be some time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Allways rather nervouse about that kind of thing,
What will it do ?

Hello again,

At some point you are going to have to bite the bullet :) , OSX's Disk utility (repair disk permissions) and Onyx (using staff cwa107's advice in the link I provided) are upright methods for enabling a smooth running experience on your Mac.

The blue spinning wait ball can mean quite a few things but generally it's a sign that your apps are temporarily unresponsive, or they have entered an unrecoverable state, whilst you could have virtual memory problems with too many things on the go (Force Quit the unresponsive ones by right clicking the icon in the dock) together with heavy browsing patterns etc.

You'll have to start somewhere though.

OP
A
Reaction score
OK.
Just downloaded ONYX..... :Oops::Oops:

Maintenance: Permissions: Excecute ?

Is that all i need to do ?

It wont blow up will it ???

Wife'll kill me if it goes wrong as she uses it for work... :[:[

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Make sure you downloaded the correct version of Onyx for your version of OS X. They have a separate version for each version of OS X.

Automation tab - I check off everything in the Maintenance and Cleaning section - I check nothing in the Rebuilding section unless there is some specific problem. I only run it about once very 2-3 months as I begin to notice the spinning wheel more often.

OP
A
Reaction score
OK.
I get the cleaning bit.... ;)

What does:

repair permissions
&
Excecute maintenance scripts mean/do ?

Just want to be sure.

Oh yeh...Downloaded Snow Lepoard....My Mac is about 16 months old.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I am a great fan of OnyX.

As stated, you must download the version for your OS (Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion0.

When you open the app, it will automatically verify that your HD has no problems. Hit "continue" till it has done this and then you will be asked for your admin password.

Then a new window opens up. From the Menu, choose Automation Tab and check the boxes as bobtomay advises.

At the bottom of the window is a ? in a circle. Click on it and it will tell you exactly what each action does and means. Once you start the process, let it complete naturally. DO NOT abort or otherwise terminate the programme prematurely.

OnyX is hugely popular with the forum community and can be trusted; but as with all things, make sure all your software updates are current and that your backups are ditto, before you start.

Ian

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Think of Onyx as similar to Bill Cosby's classic story of buying a sports car and a mechanic telling him to get it on the open road and open her up 'to get the gunk out'.

Onyx gets the gunk out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.