Changing name of folders in Finder window

Reaction score
For whatever reason my "administrator" folder in my finder windows is named "ADMINISTARTOR" and it's driving me insane! It's only like this on my iMac, not on my MacBookPro. I've looked everywhere on my computer, and online for instructions on how to change the name to administrator. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The administrator folder should be that of your account name. What did you assign your account name as? Note that it's not recommended to change your account name without following a specific procedure as given by Apple.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yeah I''ve had the account name changed for a long time, well since I got it about a year ago. It's set as my nickname Brew, that shows up when I click the "apple" in the upper right hand corner to log out, or when I'm using AirDrop. The only place Administartor shows up is in the finder windows in the left hand column under favorites.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I understand now. Grab the wayward "administrator" with your mouse or trackpad and at the same time hold down your command key. Drag it to the desktop and drop it there. Let me know what happens to it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's the idea man. No more, goodbye, end of problem. :)

Once I knew your account name was OK, I then knew the wayward administrator was just a rogue folder that could be deleted.

Have fun.

OP
B
Reaction score
Umm yeah I knew that, but I also wanted that folder to be there since it contains a lot of smaller folders that aren't in the other categories of folders listed under favorites, that's the "home" folder.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your "Home" folder should be your account name which is shown in your Finder. You can't have two home folders. Anyway, the fact that the folder went "poof" shows that it was an alias to the main folder. What smaller folders did you have assigned to that folder? They should still be there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.