Wrong apple ID when doing app update

Reaction score
Hi, somehow my DH apple ID is showing up when I try to update my apps on iPhone. How do I get rid of his and get my apple ID in there? Thanks.

C

chas_m

Go to the "featured" page on the App Store. Scroll to the bottom. Tap on the identity that's signed in. Sign out.

Now tap the "Sign in" button and sign in using your Apple ID.

C

chas_m

If you want help, you're going to have to provide a lot more detail than that. Psychic Hotline we ain't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Not sure what 'DH' means but apps have been acquired under an AppleID are 'tied' to that account.

e.g.
If Fred Flintstone's Apple ID is used to download apps (free or paid for) you need to use Fred's ID and password to update them.

So if Wilma Flintstone comes along she won't be able to update Fred's apps.

So the best advice, if 'DH' is no longer willing or able to use their Apple ID to update apps is for you to download them under you account by following Chas_m's instruction then downloading/buying them yourself.

OP
margaret438
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't clear but not really sure how it happened. I will try to explain how I think it may have happened. My husband (DH) and I both have accts on our desktop iMac. I was the first iPhone owner in household. I think, as he was trying to be nice and helpful, I think he synch'd my iPhone under his iMac acct instead of under my iMac acct. I started noticing shortly after that, that when I tried to install one/some of my iPhone apps that his apple id would occasional show up at password stage of doing an iPhone app update. It seems his apple id would show up when I attempted the 'update all' feature.

Yesterday, I moved to mobile iOS 6, so now I'd like to update all my apps. When trying to 'update all' I continue to get his apple id. A couple of them I've updated singularly and don't seem to always encounter that problem. So before posting, we went thru each of the apps available for update and I deleted off the apps that more than likely may have been tied to him (things like banking apps, etc). There are may be a few apps that we both have like around me, but really not many since we use iPhone for different purposes.

I'm the 'old and dumb' type user now and the frustration of fixing/resolving problems is great, so I haven't synch'd my iPhone since nor my ipad2 at all to the iMac. I hope someone can help me unravel this. Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Unfortunately, when you install apps from multiple Apple IDs onto a single device and then want to update those apps and only use a single Apple ID, it's going to be a problem.

What you have done thus far - deleting any apps tied to his Apple ID rather than yours is really your only option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Or you can enter his password to update those apps and enter your ID and password to update your apps.
It's all about which AppleID was used to buy/download which apps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.