I have music on both mac and pc - can I easily use my ipod on both?

Reaction score
As I mentioned I have a few computers and frequently use both mac and pc's. I have music libraries on both; and transferring things between the two can be an arduous task.
Now my new version 60GB video ipod says pc+mac on it so I figure it could be used on both mac and pc if they are using the same itunes software.
Is this correct or do I have to do some constant formatting every time I use it on a pc or mac?
Thanks again.....I've read the tutorials trying to find help and it just brings up more questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You need to have it formatted first on the PC.

Macs can read PC/Mac
PC can only read PC

You will want to use Manual music management unless your libraries are identical, otherwise whenever you plug into a computer, it will erase everything from the other computer and put on the music from where you are plugged on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
instead of having to update on two different computers....move all your music to your mac and use your ipod with your mac (i feel that the whole itunes experience is a lot better on a mac) and then use your mac to either share or run as a server for all of your music to your pc. just a suggestion, and we can help you out with all of this stuff as well

OP
W
Reaction score
mac/pc's with ipods and sharing mac/pc's setups

Thanks for the invite, but I have a big desktop mac that I use for all of my photography work (I store some cd's here but mainly keep it only for photography work), then I have a really big desktop pc which I keep most of my music on since I have the room, then I have a much smaller mac laptop which I use when I travel, which is often. I would mainly use the ipod with my music library on the pc, but would want to have frequent access to music management on the mac laptop since I'm on the road often.
So I kind of need to have the ipod accessable to both mac's and pc's.....we also have other mac's and pc's in the family that I would want to have access to. Is this going to be a big problem, even if they all have itunes?

Also you mentione that you could help with "use your mac to either share or run as a server for all of your music to your pc" which I have not yet been able to figure out; but if you can offer any assistance in setting this up it would be such a huge help managing all of my photo's (and music) and transferring from one to the other (I keep some of them internet hooked up, and others as back-up's or non internet photo storage.
Thanks!!!

coach_z said:
instead of having to update on two different computers....move all your music to your mac and use your ipod with your mac (i feel that the whole itunes experience is a lot better on a mac) and then use your mac to either share or run as a server for all of your music to your pc. just a suggestion, and we can help you out with all of this stuff as well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Keep in mind that if you have the iPod Windows FAT-32 formatted (as I believe it is out of the box), you will only be able to run the software updaters on the windows machine. A Mac can not do a software update on a Windows formatted iPod.

Probably not a big deal for, just some useful info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.