Will files backed up from Diskwarrior Preview showing errors be okay for new MBP?

Reaction score
So, macbook HD took a dump on me last week. I booted Diskwarrior from disk. After 50 hours of DW running, it finally was done repairing, but of course the disk was not able to be replaced, but I am able to hook my external HD to it and salvage as many files as I need. Most everything was backed up except for some work stuff.

So, I bought a new macbook pro this past week and am slowly getting everything back in its right place.

However, my question is two-fold: Will my Time Machine backup on my external drive from my old macbook running Snow Leopard be okay to use on my new MBP running Mountain Lion? Other than the obvious compatibility issues with some software, was it something on my old hard drive which caused the damage and will that be on my Time Machine backup and subsequently ruin my new Mac?

Second, since I'm not able to replace the failing drive on my old MB with the DW Preview Disk, I am taking all needed files off of my old MB while I can. However, while transferring files and folders from the Preview Disk to my external hard drive, The DW log keeps saying that there are errors when copying the files to my external. They are copying slowly, but error -39 keeps popping up. I want to know if these files are toast, or if they will be fine to use and the error is coming up because the drive is just shot.

NOTE: I have already opened some of the files that did say error when I ran DW the first time. This is the second go round for it.

You can see in the pics below that the file that I am copying from the Preview is slowly copying over, but it says there are 71 errors.

Thanks in advance to any help or advice you may have.

B6A095D4-AD09-485D-BFAE-3817CD70A659.jpeg

ACBEE930-F362-41B4-8301-1C3ABF68CFFB.jpeg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Depending upon the state of the failed hard drive, it is common to find corrupted files that halt copying whole folders from DW's preview. You then have to see where the copy stopped, miss out that file and start from the next, so there will be non recoverable files. Sometimes there are many, other times so few I've been able to clone from the preview to a new drive.

If you have a new MBP running Mountain Lion, when starting up I would select the option to migrate in from a time machine backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.