iMac 24inch Logic Board or Video Bad?

Reaction score
I have a 2.8 ghz intel core 2 duo 24 inch iMac that recently had a new hard drive installed due to the factory drive going bad. This iMac is a 2009 model or 2008 series. The iMac has worked with the new hard drive under 10.5.8 for several weeks, but now it is running slow on switching programs, trying to boot up in the mornings, etc. I have read other blogs of users with the same issues stating it could be a logic board or a video card going bad. I have tried the usual stuff with disk permissions, checking the disk, etc.
It seems to me that a logic board or video card could be the issue. Before I found this information, I tried to upgrade the OS to 10.6.3, which I did successfully. I downloaded the 10.6.8 combo update and when it tries to install, it states it cannot install due to an error. I have tried to install this update 4 or 5 times, it will not install.
The OS itself just seems to be real sluggish and not able to open programs, files, etc. I don't want to continue spending money on it since I had to spend money on a new hard drive install.
Thanks for any help or ideas.
John

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a 2.8 ghz intel core 2 duo 24 inch iMac that recently had a new hard drive installed due to the factory drive going bad. This iMac is a 2009 model or 2008 series. The iMac has worked with the new hard drive under 10.5.8 for several weeks, but now it is running slow on switching programs, trying to boot up in the mornings, etc. I have read other blogs of users with the same issues stating it could be a logic board or a video card going bad. I have tried the usual stuff with disk permissions, checking the disk, etc.
It seems to me that a logic board or video card could be the issue. Before I found this information, I tried to upgrade the OS to 10.6.3, which I did successfully. I downloaded the 10.6.8 combo update and when it tries to install, it states it cannot install due to an error. I have tried to install this update 4 or 5 times, it will not install.
The OS itself just seems to be real sluggish and not able to open programs, files, etc. I don't want to continue spending money on it since I had to spend money on a new hard drive install.
Thanks for any help or ideas.
John

On almost all iMac's…whether the problem is the "video card" or the logic board…it really doesn't matter…since the video card (more properly termed "video hardware")…since in most cases there is no separate discrete video card that can be removed separately.

So whether it is the video hardware or the logic board that is bad…it's the same repair…the computer would need a new logic board.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
That is what I was afraid of replacing the video hardware. From all accounts that I have read online, it seems like the video hardware gets hot on these machines over time and that causes issues too. I may go back to the store that fixed the hard drive issue and see if they say the same thing.

Thanks,
John

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.