"No Connected Camera"

CGJ

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got a 2011 13-inch MacBook Air running OS X 10.8.2.

This all started yesterday when I was on Photo Booth. The camera just froze, and 'Heatsink B' shot up to 88ºC and had the fans going at 6500rpm. It remained like that for a good hour or so, even after a couple of restarts and cold boot-ups. Then, the whole thing calmed down and everything appeared to be working...except the camera and ambient light sensor.

So far, I've identified that it is a system-wide problem. The camera isn't working on a variety of programs (Skype, FaceTime, PhotoBooth), nor is it working on the a guest user account (FaceTime, PhotoBooth). Also, it isn't being recognised by System Information. It just...isn't there.

I've restarted multiple times, and also reset the SMC and the PRAM. It seems as though it could be a hardware problem, so really I have two questions about it:
1) If it is a hardware problem, how much do you think it'll cost to fix?
2) Do you have any tips to get the FaceTime camera working?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
There's a strong possibility you'll need a replacement display assembly, not cheap but viable compared to the value of the MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.