Made a mistake

Reaction score
So I just purchased a used Macbook Pro. It had Lion installed. I made a mistake however. I do not have the restore disk, and reading online how to resetting to factory. It didnt specify that I needed it. Now I have the OS X Mountain Lion Install screen and it won't let me download it. It says This Apple ID has not purchased Lion. What do I do?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I do not have the restore disk.

There is no Lion restore disk (unless someone makes one themselves). Lion was a download only OS version.

Now I have the OS X Mountain Lion Install screen and it won't let me download it. It says This Apple ID has not purchased Lion. What do I do?

This is kind of confusing. Mountain Lion is OS 10.8…Lion is OS 10.7. If you have downloaded Mountain Lion…then you shouldn't be getting any "Lion" messages.

I think that you need to describe exactly what you're doing/trying to do with a lot more detail. Since over the internet…we cannot see what's going on…or what you're thinking.;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Bought a used macbook Pro, wanted to bring it back to factory so foolishly I followed the first directions I found.

Went into disk utility, erased drive.
Clicked re-install os-x.
It comes up with install screen for mountain lion. Had lion 10.7 prior to my mistake.
When I enter my apple ID, it says lion has not been purchased by this ID. Sooo now what? Did I make an expensive mistake?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Bought a used macbook Pro, wanted to bring it back to factory so foolishly I followed the first directions I found.

Went into disk utility, erased drive.
Clicked re-install os-x.
It comes up with install screen for mountain lion. Had lion 10.7 prior to my mistake.
When I enter my apple ID, it says lion has not been purchased by this ID. Sooo now what? Did I make an expensive mistake?

Again there is still some confusion here. Firstly…a computers internal hard drive cannot be erased unless it has been booted either from a:

- OS install DVD
- OS install USB stick
- External hard drive with an OS on it
- or if the computer was booted from the internal hard drives "Recovery Partition".

This is one detail that is missing from this story.

Second. When you say that you clicked "Reinstall OS"…where is this "clicking" occurring?

Third. You mentioned having to enter your Apple ID. Usually you don't have to do this…unless iTunes or the Mac App Store application has been launched…and you're now trying to download something.

These are the details that I am saying are missing from this conversation…and it would help to know them…to better understand what's going on.:)

- Nick

p.s. But overall…you have not made a costly mistake:)…since no single OS purchase that you would be interested in costs more than $29 bucks.:) But…if the computer doesn't have a valid OS installed on it…then you can't connect to the internet…so that an OS (Mountain Lion) can be downloaded from the Mac App Store.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hold down Command+r key at startup. Open Disk Utility and erase the Macintosh HD. Exit out of DU and select Reinstall Mac OS X. Select Macintosh HD as the place to install to and wait for Lion to be downloaded from the net. The computer will restart when the download is finshed and the install will start.

Is exactly what I did. However it will no download lion or mountain lion without an ID that's purchased it.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Your best bet now is to call Apple, give them your Mac specs and they can sell you Snow Leopard DvD(or possibly Lion on USB). Minimal cost and that will set things to right.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you Razormac, This seems to be the only solution. I talked to a support rep today who told me I could go to my local Apple store and get this. Low and behold, I had to call back and order over the phone. Apple support is phenomenal. Shipping it free, I just paid the $12 for next day. Thank you all for your input and help! I am sure I will be back as the switch from PC to Mac continues.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Let us know how it turns out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.