Question about Powerbook

B

BrianB1

I have an OLD Mac Powerbook 3400C
I'd like to know if this computer has a built in ethernet card. I tried to get on-line with it a couple times and cant seem to get it up. It's a pretty old Mac. Now I'm not a "real" mac user, so I don't know much about them. So, any help with settings or anything to help me get this thing on line would really help.

Thanks

OP
J

jn4jenny

Those specs above are helpful for you to know, but the short answer is "yes it has an ethernet card built in." The question is whether the browser you're using on it is supported by your internet connection; that's might be the issue. Which OS are you on?

PS--that machine is from 1997. Compare it to trying to run a Windows 95 machine!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The URL I gave him says that MOST 3400c's came with both Ethernet and modem but some did not. That is why I gave him that URL.

If his 3400c has a RJ-45 Ethernet port then it has the Ethernet card.

OP
L

lil

Failing that any NE2000 compatible 16bit PCMCIA (10Mbit) or 32bit PC-Card (10/100Mbit) Network card should do the trick.

OP
B

BrianB1

I had to install OS 9 on it when I got it from my mom "she couldnt remember the pass".
I assume that it has a ethernet card in it because my ethernet cable fits into the back. The browser that is on there is IE unknown version, whatever comes with OS9

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Open the TCP/IP Control Panel and be sure it's set for Ethernet and DHCP.

OP
B

BrianB1

roger that, there is one in there. I have three options 1. infared 2.modem 3.ethernet
I thought that if there is a card in there that it would auto detect the signal and work. Is this untrue?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
on OS9 and below you have to set it manually to whatever it needs to be. Set it to Ethernet and DHCP. Are you plugging it into a router?

OP
B

BrianB1

Yes, I'm pluging into a router. Do I need to open ports for the powerbook or and setting inside the comp?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.