Powerbook Fan: Always On

Reaction score
I have a 12" Powerbook G4 1.5, and the fan is almost always on. Literally, the only time it shuts off is if i close every program. I've gone into the task manager, and i have no extra programs running in the background, I don't even have any Dashboard widgets running. And yet the fan continues to run. I don't expect it to be off all the time, but it would be nice if it didn't get really hot, and it would be nice if i didn't have to listen to this whirring when i'm doing something as simple as reading a page on Safari (that was loaded 5 minutes ago)

Hard disk botomside is 112~ and processor topside is around the same, usually a bit lower.

B

Biturbo V12 AMG

a lot depends on the surface your PB is on. i know i have a glass desk and my fan runs all the time since glass doesn't do a good job at taking away heat. but when i put my PB on the granite counters the fan wont go on for a long long time. i wouldn't complain about the loudness of the PB fan unless you have used some PC laptops from HP or Dell. especially the laptops that have P4s they can heat a room up and make a ton of noise. also keep in mind what performance level you are running at when plugged in i know i have mine to run at highest levels of power when plugged into AC but then i tell it to conserve when running on battery and my fans will die down a bit and sometimes just go off completely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.