Upgrade from Mac o.s. x 10.5.8?

Reaction score
I have a 3-yr old iMac. Safari freezes often and is driving me crazy. My 10.5.8. is up to date. I wanted to try Google Chrome, but my OS is not supported. Just in general is there a reason for me to upgrade to a 10.6 + OS? I am not very computer saavy. I do play some online games, but mostly this is a work computer (work from home) Will higher versions enhance my iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The upgrade certainly wont do any harm

But you have to buy 10.6 off ebay (make sure its not a grey disc, but one with a Snow leopard printed on it), as Apple no longer sells it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello ibmom,

First and foremost when was the last time you did any routine system maintenance for example 'Repair Disk permissions' in Disk Utility and how much hard drive free space do you have ? Cluttered and confused HD's and lack of space can have a huge bearing on speed. You can also try resetting Safari.

Secondly, provided your machines specs sit well with Apple's requirements (check the Apple website or App Store) you can go all the way up to Mountain Lion but you need to upgrade to Snow Leopard first because ML is now an App Store download unsupported by Leopard.

3 years is not old and if it were me I would be looking to maximise it's potential and yes the upgrade should enhance your Mac in my opinion.

Edit. Louishen beat me to the punch but you've got the general gist I think!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I wanted to try Google Chrome, but my OS is not supported. Just in general is there a reason for me to upgrade to a 10.6 + OS?

Of course there is. One very good reason...upgrading your computers OS...would allow you to use Google Chrome (as you stated you can't do currently).

I could list at least 5-10 reasons (probably more) why upgrading your OS can be beneficial (depending on your needs). At this point your computer is stuck in 2008/2009. There have been 3 OS versions released since OS 10.5.8 (10.6, 10.7, 10.8). And none of these OS versions cost more than $29 bucks to purchase (which is traditionally very cheap as OS upgrade costs go).

Of course there are some "watchouts" to consider when upgrading a computers OS. And #1 is...by upgrading the OS...will currently installed applications still operate with the new OS.

The bottom line is...if everything is working fine with your computer...you may not need an OS upgrade. But if there are things that you can no longer do (such as install Google Chrome)...then you NEED an OS upgrade.

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
upgrade 10.5.8

Thank you for your reply. I guess my question then is, will any upgrade help my machine? I mean, is it worth it, or will I pretty much have the same thing I have now? Also, if Apple doesn't even sell it anymore, can I just skip the 10.6 and go up to whatever is current?

OP
I
Reaction score
Great response, thank you so much! That is exactly what I wanted to know....and good warning about the other programs I have installed which may not work (Windows for Mac). Will think about it. Have a great Sunday. Susie

OP
I
Reaction score
Hi Pendleswitch - Thank you as well. I will do those suggested maintenance steps. You have helped me greatly. Susie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess my question then is, will any upgrade help my machine? I mean, is it worth it, or will I pretty much have the same thing I have now?

Let me explain a couple things. Computers are a combination of hardware and software. For the most part...the hardware in most computers cannot be changed (the ram and hard drive can be upgraded...pretty much nothing else). So your computers hardware is what it is.

The OS provides you with "tools" to use your computer. When new things are produced/released after you've purchased your computer (new cell phones, new printers, new iPods, new iPads, and any sort of new software programs)...they will be geared to use the newest OS version that is current at the time they are released.

A lot of things have changed since 2008/2009 when your computer was purchased. To take advantage of many of them...you need to upgrade the computers OS. You don't need a new computer...you may need to just upgrade your OS. Look at things financially. Buy a new computer for $1000-$1500 (with a newer OS installed on it)...or spend around $50 bucks to upgrade the OS.;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great response, thank you so much! That is exactly what I wanted to know....and good warning about the other programs I have installed which may not work (Windows for Mac). Will think about it. Have a great Sunday. Susie

This is one thing that many folks thinking about upgrading their computers OS forget about or don't consider. Folks may have $1000's of dollars in software they have installed...and a $20-$30 dollar OS upgrade can make them unusable (without buying possibly expensive software upgrades).

So an OS upgrade is not always a quick & easy decision. It's easy if previously purchased hardware or software is not made obsolete...or if there isn't any older hardware (printers, scanners, cell phones, etc.) or older software that will be made obsolete...then the OS upgrade decision can be easy!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi Pendleswitch - Thank you as well. I will do those suggested maintenance steps. You have helped me greatly. Susie

Hey that's a pleasure :) Nick's on a roll so you are in capable hands.

Everything's good here for a Sunday..two beers in the pub..the Roast chicken dinner is smelling fabulous...now if only we can pull those 4 points back in the Ryder Cup.....:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.