Troubles installing kingston ssd in mbp mid '10

Reaction score
Hi guys :)

I really hope, that somebody in here are able to help me.

I've just bought a Kingston V200 ssd, as the other hdd died the other day -.-

The problem is, that my mac cannot detect the ssd disc as a internal drive no matter what i do.

Using the SSD as a external disc, i have formatted the disc to Mac OS Journaled extended, installed ML, cloned a image from another disc, tried to reset NVRAM

But none of these things makes it possible to detect the ssd as a internal drive .. :/

So... At this point i am clueless to what i should do next to solve the problem.. One of my thoughts are, that i might have another hardware problem? or that the kingston ssd is simply no compatible with my mbp ?

In any case, i hope one of you guys out there, are able to help me :)

// FreakshowDK

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem may not be with the SSD since you seem to be able to use it as an external drive. You may have a defective SATA ribbon cable which goes from the drive connector to the logic board. Try changing out that cable. Directions for changing the cable can be found at iFixit: The free repair manual. Have your model number on hand when you look up the directions.

We've seen many cases of that cable being defective. The cable undergoes a lot of heat and becomes brittle over time, and easily breaks.

OP
F
Reaction score
I found out, that the problem wasn't with the ssd, i tried mounting it, in my gilfriends mbp, which is also a mid '10, booting just fine -.-

But I'll try to change the sata cable - do you know where i can buy one ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.