Display music menu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 9/3/10 OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 Firefox 26,0 iPad, iPod Touch
Apple TV displays menu options when I select "Movies" "TV shows" "Computers" and "Settings'.
But, does not show a menu when "Music" is selected. What does show in upper portion of screen is an iCloud icon and this message:

<To access your music library in iCloud subscribe to iTunes Match using iTunes on your computer.>

My question is why should I pay $25 to access items that I already own and can send to the TV if desired without additional cost?
Isn't there a way to just go to the music menu as I can in iTunes store?

Also the Apple TV does not show in my iTunes page, nor does an Apple TV device show on the sidebar of iTunes like the iPod does. Is that normal?

ATV connects via wifi from my iMac and hdmi to TV.

Your solution is eagerly awaited…..thanks,

Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Did you turn on Home Sharing in the Apple TV prefs and in iTunes? And do you have iTunes open? If you had, then you'd be able to play your music directly from your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
That menu is a specific thing to share music across iCloud. It is $25 a year because what is really happening is iTunes is matching your music library to what is in iTunes - then sending you the iTunes version across iCloud. It is part of iTunes match. If you want to just access music from within your own network - then the proper way to do it on the ATV is to go to Computers and play the music from there.
Apple - iTunes - Match
One of the times Apple made life more confusing because as you expect - music should show available music. I wish they would give an option for local off of that menu item.

The Apple TV won't show in the sidebar as a device - but it should show up as another Airplay option.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 9/3/10 OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 Firefox 26,0 iPad, iPod Touch
Thank you, Ivan. That's the best answer received in two weeks of inquiries including Apple Care.
I guess I'll have to accept this most un-Apple-like condition.
Bill

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.