Firmware update question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac with OS X 10.11.2 -16GB memory
I have been reading articles on upgrading to Mountain Lion on the MacWorld site.
It said I should check for "Firmware Updates" and gave a link to see if my computer needs updates.
Is this something I should have been checking too? groan
This is the first I have heard of firmware updates
I always check for software updates I didn't know there were other updates to look for.

It explained how to find my model in About this Mac and then a list of models that have firmware up dates , Mine is on the list for a firmware update to 1.3
It said it will change my Boot Ram Version ( what ever that is) and gave the number it will become
I didn't go ahead and download the Firmware updates until I know if I should download them

It looks like it updates my Intel chip??
Please advise if I should proceed with this firmware update

Thanks
Barbara
P S I just compared the Boot Ram Version the firmware update would become after the update with the Boot Ram Version I have in About this Mac and they are the same. So I don't think I need this update , right?

C

chas_m

This isn't something you need to check or worry about. Any appropriate system updates -- including Firmware -- will appear if your machine needs it in the Mac App Store. You'll also get a standard Notification from Notification Center.

All the MacWorld article was trying to say is that before any major system updates (like going from Lion to Mountain Lion), you should make sure your system is up-to-date using Software Update.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac with OS X 10.11.2 -16GB memory
Thanks chas_m
I regularly check for updates incase any are available but I did not yet get a notifier.
I am trying to be sure everything is running perfectly and up to date before I upgrade to Mountain Lion. I feel it will spare me problems in the future.
Thanks
Barbara

C

chas_m

You don't have to check. You're on Mountain Lion. It will notify you automatically. If you happen to miss or dismiss the notification, it's always there in Notification Center, and you can just click on it to be taken to the Mac App Store for the update.

Or, if you're like me, you will be visiting the Mac App Store often enough that you'll get the updates anyway!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.