Denial of Mountain Lion Upgrade

Reaction score
Help.
I bought a MacbookPro in the UK just before ML came out and was told that I would get a free upgrade without charge. I was never told I had to do it within 30 days.
I have written multiple times to updatesupport-uk or whatever they are called and all I get back is a standard reply despite my detailed query and request for a proper reply from their customer service.
Please tell me how I get a proper answer from someone.
It is my first Mac and I was so looking forward to it BUT I am so disappointed with my experience so far....
Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know how it is in the UK, but here in the States you would be better off taking your receipt to the nearest Apple store and speak with a supervisor. Explain your situation and perhaps they'll relent and give you the free update. Even if you have to pay for Mountain Lion it's only $19.99. (About 12.4 British Pounds)

OP
R
Reaction score
ML Upgrade

Hi,
I know the price is cheap BUT TBH it is the principle.
I actually live in the UAE and was in the UK to se the Olympics - so difficult to pop into a store! I just want a proper reply to my e-mail. An answer to my query, not just a standard reply without reading my mail.
As I said it's my first experience of Apple Support and they have not been very supportive!!
$30.00 I think here but I was sold it for free with no mention of cut off date - and I was on holiday until after the cut off date - so I had no way of knowing.
I'm posting this to the BBC so hopefully we can se if this is as big an issue as the Maps fiasco. Really like the machine - not happy with the supplier....
:Angry:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was never told I had to do it within 30 days.

It is my first Mac and I was so looking forward to it BUT I am so disappointed with my experience so far....

Hey…when we buy things…we are not told EVERY little detail. If this was the case…it would take 12 hours for every little legal agreement to be read to us before we could leave the store!;)

Yeah…maybe it would have been nice if someone had told you that you had 30 days to take advantage of the free ML upgrade. You mentioned that you bought this computer BEFORE ML was released (which was over 60 days ago). If this ML upgrade was so important to you…why did you wait 60+ days to take advantage of it?? Maybe some of the fault is on you as well for waiting so long??

Or maybe you could have asked the question…"How long do I have to take advantage of the free ML upgrade??"

Yes I agree…Apple is usually more flexible with these sorts of things. But then again…you waited 60+ days to take advantage of the free ML upgrade (more than double the period of time you officially had). Did you think that this sort of thing was going to last forever??

Again I say…if the ML upgrade was so important…why did you wait so long? I think that there is probably some fault on both ends of this transaction. Just chalk everything up to experience…and next time ask more questions before leaving the store!:) Just pay the darn upgrade price for ML (a whole $30.00 I believe you said on your end). It's really very inexpensive!:):)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
I actually tried to start getting the upgrade at the start of September (about 36 days after ML started, but 4 weeks later and several standard replies later, no joy. This is why I was asking the question at this forum.
I bought just before the upgrade as I was in the UK for the Olympics (RTQ!) - and it was a major selling point by the salesman, so you would have thought he would have mentioned a cut off date... oh well... you live, learn and perhaps understand what it is to be an Apple customer in the post Jobs years....

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Bottomline answer: If you want a non-standard response (almost anywhere, not just Apple) you need to use the phone, and have the patience to work past 1st Tier support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
There is definitely a time frame for upgrading your OSX, does not warranted a personal attack on some one like Nick.
Here in US the apple store species a month period to upgrade, some have to wait a bit longer than 7 days to get the free stuff. You are welcome to complaints to whoever you want, if you are able to get it more power to you.

OP
R
Reaction score
OK - just disappointed people do not answer e-mails professionally. Perhaps I'm too old fashioned for this Apple stuff or expect too much service for an expensive piece of kit....

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have to wonder if the offer is actually open to international transfer. I know that the Mac App Store will display different options, depending on the market.

That may be at the root of the issue here, since ML is distributed exclusively through the MAS.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
OK - just disappointed people do not answer e-mails professionally. Perhaps I'm too old fashioned for this Apple stuff or expect too much service for an expensive piece of kit....

Again, not just Apple. Customer support everywhere is tiered and with the volume of mail you will never get to some one to give you a "professional" response without getting a bump up in level.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought just before the upgrade as I was in the UK for the Olympics (RTQ!) - and it was a major selling point by the salesman, so you would have thought he would have mentioned a cut off date... oh well... you live, learn and perhaps understand what it is to be an Apple customer in the post Jobs years....

Let's look at this situation a bit more closely. Apple is VERY VERY VERY secretive about how they handle their business (releases of new products or OS versions). If you purchased this computer BEFORE ML was released…then almost no one (including Apple Store employees) would have known any of the exact specific details related to how the free ML upgrade program would work.

Maybe this Apple Store employee was making some educated guess's…but in all honesty…they would have no specific concrete knowledge on how a free ML upgrade would work BEFORE ML was released!

Apple Store employees would not have known:

- When exactly ML would have been released.
- If new computer buyers would get a free upgrade to ML.
- If new computer buyers did get a free ML upgrade…how many days they would have to redeem the free upgrade.

This has nothing to do with Apple being different post Steve Jobs. It's simply a miscommunication between two individuals…and possibly some unrealistic expectations. And again…since this computer purchase was BEFORE ML was released…any details on how the free ML upgrade would work were totally unknown at the time this computer was purchased!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.