word 2011 - can't insert symbols

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I can't insert symbols into a word document in word 2011 for mac. I have tried saving to .doc as well as .docx, and I have tried opening new documents. I can access the insert symbol command from the dropdown menu, it pulls up the gui with the symbols, but when I click on the symbol I want to insert, I get the denial beep that mac always gives when it won't let you do something. Anyone know why this is happening and/or how to fix? Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just tried it here with a new blank document and it works OK. Are you allowing the cursor to show up first in the document before selecting the symbol to insert? I tried with a new document without placing the cursor in the document first, and got the beep.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry about the late response, been away all day.

Your "normal template" in Word 2011 may be corrupt and that could be the reason you're not able to insert the symbols. The only way to fix that is to delete the template and let Word create a new one the next time Word opens. By deleting the normal template that will also remove all your adjustments you made to it, such as menus.

Close Word and any other Office applications first.

To delete the template navigate to:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/normal.dotm

Delete "normal.dotm" but do not empty the Trash. Word will create a new template for you the next time it opens. If that doesn't resolve the problem, delete the new template and restore the old one from the Trash.

Reaction score
I am having this problem too. I tried deleting the normal template and creating a new one, and it still didn't work. Then I tried restoring the old one, and am still having this problem. Help!

Reaction score
I too have the same problem- tried the new template thing and it didn't work.

Any help would be great.

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply.

This issue is not because of the template. Do the following:

1. Open the "Symbol Browser" from the drop-down menu "Insert".

2. Click the document to which you want to insert a symbol (and the place where you want to insert) before clicking the symbol of your choice.

3. Click the symbol.

Now you should be able to insert the symbol.

Cheers!!

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply.

This issue is not because of the template. Do the following:

1. Open the "Symbol Browser" from the drop-down menu "Insert".

2. Click the document to which you want to insert a symbol (and the place where you want to insert) before clicking the symbol of your choice.

3. Click the symbol.

Now you should be able to insert the symbol.

Cheers!!

That's the first thing I tried. It didn't work.

I also tried the normal template. No dice.

EDIT: I didn't realize you had to click to place the cursor after opening the symbol browser. Oops. ;-)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you guys updated Office 2011 to version 14.4.6?

Reaction score
Insert symbol in Word 2011

From the "insert" drop down menu in Word, choose symbol, and then select:
"Advanced Symbol"
Select your character and it works!
(don't ask me why)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.