10.4 cant boot up

Reaction score
hello evry one ,i have an old powerbook g4 powerpc 10.4 .11 ,recently started having problems with realplayer downloaded videos ,they woulld download from youtube as full mgbytes but the video would only be a few seconds long ,,,others would come up error "not a movie file" this is the only problem i can pinpoint before the laptop got stuck on blue screen at bootup ,i was able to start it in safe mode, ran disk prmissions and repair,,main drive could not mount,,so i ran a repair program,, checked the permissions and verify said all wasfine,,but still no mount point on main drive,,it booted a coupletimesseemed normal,,,and now itjust gets stuck onblue screen ,will not start in safe mode,,,and trying to start up holding "t"(for disk drive boot) gives what looks like a fall out shelter logo that bounces round the screen ,is there any way anyone knows i can get this system back up ,to try disk utilities again? please help

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like your hard disk is going bad. The Powerbook G4s were last sold in 2005, so that's a nearly 8 year old machine - a pretty good run for a HDD.

Run the Apple Hardware Test in extended mode to verify:

The Apple Hardware Test

OP
O
Reaction score
ok but

othanks ,this is my first ever forum post ,didnt know i would get a reply so quick,,,how can i get it to run or turn on ,i tried starting holding "t" stuck on bluewith progresscircle,,tried start holding shift same thing i see on google to hold x and another saying hold command alt and "pr" keys the disk drive is broke ,,,nd trust me i know its time for a new computer lol ,,, but is there somthin i can try to get it back on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Got the system install disc? If so pop it in the drive, reboot and hold down ';c' immediately after the chime.

OP
O
Reaction score
no i dont have any disks any way the disk drive is broke ,ihave been using an external drive ,,, can i buy the disks then use my external drive to diagnose or fix ?

OP
O
Reaction score
atone point igot the black screen ,which look like dos commands screen ,,i think it said darwin and crash ,someome suggest on google to start upand hold x key and it shoud boot anyone heard of this?,,,,but howeverim not getting that screen anymore,,,still tryin to reboot in safe mode or anymode for that matter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Really think with all these problems time to move on and invest in a later model machine. By the time you invest in a hard drive, an operating system and an optical drive worth more than the G4 is worth alas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.