Damaged Top Case

Reaction score
Hi, first time poster in need of advice. My niece spilled H20 on her MacBook. After powering down and waiting a few days, she powered up. Everything still worked with the exception of several of the keys. They would respond erratically or incorrectly. After reading posts, I assumed it was the top case that needed to be replaced. I purchased a case on Ebay, and replaced it. Now the machine will not boot at all. I am thinking that the case I purchased has a bad power button.
What I would like to do is to short the power connection on the logic board to see if it will boot. If it does not, then I know I need to go over my work to be sure I reconnected everything properly. Can anyone explain, preferably with a link, as to how to short the power button? Thanks.

Probably should have given the model: 2.4 GHz (A1342) MacBook Unibody 13"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We just had a post in the last week very similar to yours. The reply included a diagram and what points on the logic board to short out. See if you can find it with a forum search. I wish I could remember the person who replied or I would point you to it.

You're in luck! I found it for you. Click on this LINK and follow the thread. He included a nice diagram with the points to short out marked in red.

OP
G
Reaction score
I actually read through this, but that is for a Pro, and it looks different to me when I have it open.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, sorry for the false lead. Try this: Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the take apart step by step for the MacBook. If you can't see anything there that helps, the site has a section where you can ask questions about repairs. I've used that myself before and found it to be invaluable. Lots of knowledgeable folks hang out there. Let us know if that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.