Osx upgrade for g4

Reaction score
I have just acquired a g4 , with osx version 10.1.3 on it, but I'm unsure, how i can upgrade the os. Could you please advise me the best way to do this and where the limitations with the machine will be.

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It depends on the CPU speed of the G4 processor. You can see this by going to the Apple menu at the upper-left corner and clicking "About this Mac".

Even the fastest PowerPC processor Macs are limited to OS X 10.5 (circa 2007), which has driven the price up for even used copies. At the end of the day, you'll probably need to plunk down way more money than the machine is worth.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, i have had a look in the menu, but all thats in there is the info i provided initially, is there a way to bring up the motherboard spec. As im new to the mac os does this version 10.5 havea specific name. I've just had. Check inside,but could not find any number around the cpu area to help.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This is obviously from a much newer machine, but the window should look roughly similar.

00000319.png

You may need to click "More Info" to get the detail.

10.5 is code named Leopard (not to be confused with 10.6, known as Snow Leopard, which is for Intel Macs only).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.