iphone 5 autolock - doesn't work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
Hi

I'm on an iPhone 5 and the autolock only works infrequently - it's very annoying, because I won't use the phone without the accessibility touch, due to home button always wearing out on earlier models.

I don't think I should have to restore to a new phone either, I really wish Apple would resolve this rather than users having to search fruitlessly for a solution.

Anyone come across this as it's pretty common from what I can gather.

Regards

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I don't understand the problem you are experiencing, and the Home button doesn't lock the phone so I don't see the relevance.

Can you explain some more?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
In Settings->General you will find the Auto-Lock setting which can be set to 1, 2 or 3 minutes. Hitting the Home screen on a device that is sleeping will wake it up to the lock screen. Not unlocking by using the slider or entering a password will put the device back to sleep.

Hitting the power button on top while in the lock screen will immediately put the device to sleep. Pressing the power button on a device that is in use will immediately put it to sleep.

A device that is sitting idle after it is no longer in use will cause it to go to sleep after the Auto-Lock timeout expires.

OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
autolock

I don't understand the problem you are experiencing, and the Home button doesn't lock the phone so I don't see the relevance.

Can you explain some more?

Hi

See the post below yours.

iO6 users are experiencing the same problem, autolock (blank screen) fails to come on after the chosen 1 minute 2 minute etc, after you use the assistive touch (floating button setting)
to the return to the home screen.

It only comes on if you use the home button

thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'm running iOS 6 and I just enabled Assistive Touch and it does indeed not go to sleep after the 1 minute timeout. I can use the power button or the Assistive Touch->Device->Lock option to turn if off but that's annoying.

I had a iPhone 3G and a iPhone 4 and neither of the home buttons have worn off and unless you are willing to hit the power button every time to put the device to sleep, you might have to disable assistive touch.

OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6

I'm running iOS 6 and I just enabled Assistive Touch and it does indeed not go to sleep after the 1 minute timeout. I can use the power button or the Assistive Touch->Device->Lock option to turn if off but that's annoying.

I had a iPhone 3G and a iPhone 4 and neither of the home buttons have worn off and unless you are willing to hit the power button every time to put the device to sleep, you might have to disable assistive touch.

I've had a 3GS which my wife still uses and the home button still works perfectly, - however I
had two 4's in our family, where the home button has gone, and I'm sure if researched it's one of the most common hardware failures.

It's just your luck and the assistive touch, is a way round over using the home button just to get back to the home screen or moving between apps or anywhere on the phone.

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.