iPhone pictures not being seen by Mac

Reaction score
So my iPhone is essentially out of memory (64GB, don't ask me how lol) and I tried all the methods listed to import the pictures to my Mac. After it was not being recognized by iPhoto, Preview and only once by Image Capture, I updated to iLife 11. Now it's recognized by all of them but it says that it has 0 pictures. The phone has many pictures, all of them in the camera roll. I had already imported pictures once from my iPhone 3G, but I think I used a random app which I can't find right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. All I want is to empty the pictures out before the phone explodes. Thanks!

Also, is iLife11 necessary for iOS 5 and up? It seemed that way, and if so, well that's lame.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
No, you don't need iLife 11. Without more details and further investigation it's impossible to say why installing it resolved some issues. I'd suspect permissions issues perhaps or another piece of software interrupting the process.

Things I'd try:
1. a different cable
2. repairing disk permissions
3. checking login items (system preferences - accounts) for third party photo import apps
4. using an app like PhotoSync to wirelessly transfer your photos to your Mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.