HDMI to YCbCr

Reaction score
I notice that my new Apple TV has an option to output from HDMI to YCbCr. Can I simply connect the correct cable from the Apple TV HDMI outlet to my YCbCr input of my TV or does it need an additional convertor inbetween? I'm assuming because there is an option for YCbCr output on the APple TV, it is doing the converting but just want to check (ps - I realise the better option would be to upgrade my TV to one with an HDMI input - but can't afford that just at the moment.

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Firstly, what YCbCr input do you have on the TV?

OP
T
Reaction score
Its actually a Receiver that feeds a dumb screen. The input is a Composite video (the inputs are labelled Y Pr Pb). I'm currently using them from a Composite video Out from my DVD player - gives better quality. Question is, can I input to these from my Apple TV (I'm using the optical audio - so have that sorted)

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That would be component - the three wire - red, blue and green. Composite is the old single wire yellow video connection prior to S-Video.

With either one though, you will need a converter to get there from HDMI. You'll have to convert the signal from digital to analog.

YCbCr refers to the color space and is the digital counterpart of YPbPr.
Monoprice has boxes with options for 1, 3 or 5 HDMI inputs - here is the single.
You can do a search for 'HDMI to component' and find the other 2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.