A Good Replacement for Maps App?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP OS 10.6.8, 3.06 GHz Intel C2D, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
I am one who needs to replace the Maps App in my iPhone 5. Does anybody know a good replacement? since this is my first iPhone, I am not sure of the best App to use. One that works well with the iPhone, even know we are talking about the iPhone 5, which seems to have its own issues. Txs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I use Map Quest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Go to Google Maps in Mobile Safari
Then click the [>] (box arrow thingy) at the bottom and save to home screen
You'll have the shortcut as a link on your App Screen to Google Maps.
How to Use Google Maps on iOS 6 Right Now
This is actually useful for any website you frequent a lot from your iPhone. I have Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation as a home screen short cut.

I bought Tom Tom when it was on sale - works well as a navigation app
TomTom U.S. & Canada for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
I use app shopper to monitor apps I am interested in. It gives an alert when prices change on watched apps.
AppShopper for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
I bought it when it was $40 - not bad considering how much a stand alone tomtom gps system costs.
App Shopper: TomTom U.S. & Canada (Navigation)

I used Map Quest before I got TomTom

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best one is "Motion X GPS Drive" currently 99 cents in the App store. The only extra you'll need for it is to download a voice for the turn by turn narration. It comes with a voice 2 months free.

This App beats MapQuest, Google Maps, Apple Maps, you name it. 5 star rating in the App store.

Reaction score
The best one is "Motion X GPS Drive" currently 99 cents in the App store. The only extra you'll need for it is to download a voice for the turn by turn narration. It comes with a voice 2 months free.

This App beats MapQuest, Google Maps, Apple Maps, you name it. 5 star rating in the App store.

I agree 100%. It has the most features and most reliable map app. What is even better, is that as I used it for about 6 months I was thinking to myself about enhancements that would make it even better. Last month a free update was released and it included every one of the enhancements I was hoping for!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Warning though that you have to pay $10 a year to keep voice navigation with Motion X GPS. I've never had an issue with Waze thus far, and MapQuest seems to do a great job as well. Nokia's web based maps is very accurate and Google Maps via Safari works well too. With all of those (free) alternatives to fall back on, I've never needed to purchase anything else.

Doug

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I've been using Liveview ($0.99), which works adequately, would be better if it was full screen on my iPad2.

Reaction score
I've just added google maps to my home screen. Can't seem to get street view now though ? Using iPad 2 with ios6.

Thanks.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've just added google maps to my home screen. Can't seem to get street view now though ? Using iPad 2 with ios6.

Thanks.

Look at the post just above yours ;)

EDIT: to better explain, Street View isn't supported by Mobile Safari (in Mobile Mode) and if you spoof and tell it you have a desktop so you can access the main site, then lack of Flash support keeps Street View from running.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the help.When you say the App Store are you talking about the App Store in iTunes? I have an App Store on my Mac, but I think I saw one also in iTunes. Since this is my first iPhone, is there only one App Store that has apps for the iPhone? Are there other places too?

Cheers

sorry about the Bold. I did not want it to turn out that way.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iOS APPs (for iPod, iPhone and iPad) are purchased through iTunes. The Mac APP Store (MAS) is for purchasing APPs for your Macs.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks Razormac.

What is your suggestion on a good place to learn the basics of the phone? My iPhone 5 is on its way and shows it should be delivered today. Verizon is the carrier and I have no idea what to do other then open the box. :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Opening the box is a good start . . . ;D

Seriously, the best way is just to start playing with it. But, I believe there is a free PDF user guide to the iPhone and iPad available though the iBook Store (will check and post back).

EDIT: It turned out to be an eBook rather than PDF, but it is 153 pages and free, provide by Apple for the new iPhone. Since my iPhone 5 should be here in a week or so I went ahead and downloaded it.

To get the Guide: Open iBooks APP, touch the Store Button in the upper left corner, then type "User Guide" in the search window and it should be in the top row of returned items.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually did find a pdf manual on the iPhone which I did download after running into some problems from Safari, but I could not find anywhere what version or even what iPhone it was for. Are these manuals for a specific iPhone or do they update them when a OS version is released?

In looking in my Doc folder, I found this pdf, which is why I thought they came out when a new OS version was out. I forgot I had this one but it is called, "iPhone, User Guide, For iOS 5.0 Software."

The one a person at Verizon told me about had no iPhone number anywhere I could find or no OS version. It is just called, "iPhone User Guide" but now I can see why I could not find it. I can bring it up in Safari but when I try to save the webpage after it uploads to a pdf file on the webpage, I use Safari---File---Save As--it says,The document “iphone_user_guide.pdf” could not be exported as “iphone_user_guide.pdf”.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will look at the one you found. The one I am having a hard time downloading from Safari does say iPhone for iOS 6 software. Any help in downloading a pdf file to my doc folder from Safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I will look at the one you found. The one I am having a hard time downloading from Safari does say iPhone for iOS 6 software. Any help in downloading a pdf file to my doc folder from Safari?

When in Safari, open the bookmarks and look at the bottom. It says iPhone guide. No need for a pdf, as the guide exists right there.

Doug

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sounds good but...

Unfortunately I do not have the phone yet.
When in Safari, open the bookmarks and look at the bottom. It says iPhone guide. No need for a pdf, as the guide exists right there.

Doug

C

chas_m

a. Actually, for where I live in Victoria BC there appears to be little or no changes to the Maps app except for the better signage and visibility. Obviously there's no transit directions or Street View but I drive, so I didn't really make use of them. My wife, who rides the bus a lot, opted to put Google Maps web app on her iPhone and it's working out just fine for her.

b. Street View is said to be coming to the web app (yes, for everyone) in about two weeks:

NYT: Google to add Street View to Maps web app in two weeks | Electronista

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a. Actually, for where I live in Victoria BC there appears to be little or no changes to the Maps app except for the better signage and visibility. Obviously there's no transit directions or Street View but I drive, so I didn't really make use of them. My wife, who rides the bus a lot, opted to put Google Maps web app on her iPhone and it's working out just fine for her.

b. Street View is said to be coming to the web app (yes, for everyone) in about two weeks:

NYT: Google to add Street View to Maps web app in two weeks | Electronista

Hallelujah! :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not sure what your primary use is for Maps, but if you want the functionality of a dedicated GPS (like a Garmin) for navigation, then I would highly recommend Garmin's own app:

Garmin StreetPilot onDemand for iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G and iPad Wi-Fi + 4G on the iTunes App Store

I've been using this interchangeably with a standalone Garmin GPS unit and the guidance is identical, the feature set is nearly identical, and in general it works really well.

I've heard great things about the TomTom app, but Garmin's was cheaper and I swore off TomTom a few years ago due to ****-poor customer service.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.