Can't reinstall lion

Reaction score
So I'm having some trouble. I've been having some issues with my computer so I was told to wipe my system and reinstall lion. I held down command r and erased my computer. Then I clicked "reinstall lion" and everything was going fine until they asked me for my apple ID. When I entered my ID it says that I need to log in with an account that purchased lion from the apple store. The problem is I didn't purchase lion from the app store, one of my friends gave it to me. Please spare me the lecture on how this is amoral. I'm already regretting it. So now I have an incredibly expensive brick that can't reinstall lion. The ironic thing is the reason I erased my system is because I bought mountain lion and it wasn't installing properly.

Is there a way to reinstall lion without having an apple ID that bought it from the app store?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The ironic thing is the reason I erased my system is because I bought mountain lion and it wasn't installing properly.

How then did you buy Mountain Lion without an Apple ID? If you legally purchased Mountain Lion from the App store you had to have an Apple ID. Or did someone else purchase that for you also?

The resolution to this is that you need get an Apple ID, purchase your own copy of Lion by calling Apple customer service and ordering it direct from them. It's going to be $69 since it only comes on a flash drive. Also why wasn't Mountain Lion installing properly? What error did you get?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.