Help - Brightness can't adjust after driver update

Reaction score
Dear Forum members,

I'm using a 2010 Macbook Air running windows 7.

My windows screen brightness adjustment was working fine until I update my graphic card drivers (320M) and the whole thing stop working. The adjustment display is there but there isn't any changes in the brightness. I have tried updating the latest drivers released in September 2012 but it is still not working!

This frustrating and bad for my eyes .... and I'm sure there are a handful of people facing this problem too. Anybody have any idea on where the problem lies?

Is it due to bootcamp? Do I have to update it to 4.0?
What can I do to get the brightness adjustment to work? Please help me thanks!

Frustrated user

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open the hardware tree in Windows 7 (Control Panel, System, Hardware) and right click on the video driver for the 320M and then select "Roll back driver".

OP
S
Reaction score
Open the hardware tree in Windows 7 (Control Panel, System, Hardware) and right click on the video driver for the 320M and then select "Roll back driver".

Thank you for the suggestion, but I need the new drivers so that I can run Diablo 3 smoothly. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't mention anything about running Diablo 3..... But, if the brightness control is not working, I would try rolling the driver back first to see if it works OK and then you can go from there. Also, you can't be sure that the reason Diablo 3 is not running smoothly is due to the video driver. Let's not forget that you're running a 2010 MBA which doesn't have very much memory to lend to the 320M in the first place. (The 320M is an integrated chipset, not dedicated.)

Reaction score
Solution to Macbook Air 2010 Windows Birghtness Not Working

I found a work-around (at least for my Win 7 Pro 64bit Macbook Air 2010)

1) Disable the Display Adapter Driver -- via right click in Device Manager
2) Adjust the brightness using the keyboard
3) Re-enable the display driver.

The brightness is now set to the new level.

You may need to do this again after each reboot
-- but I mostly just suspend anyway.
Hope this helps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.