add printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.12.4
I have a Mac osx 10.6.8 and a canon mp-640 multi printer on a wireless network. It was all working fine for over 2 years then after a routine Mac upgrade it quit working. Have tried for days now to get it working again. Have tried so many suggested remedies that haven't worked that I am at my wits end. When I get into system preferences then print & fax then + to add printer I am unable to type anything into the add printer box. It just wont accept any typing. No printers are shown in box. The printer is connected to the access point of the wireless network as is the computer. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
War version of OS X did you upgrade to? Did you upgrade the drivers fort that version as well?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.12.4
I still have OS X 10.6.8. Maybe I should have said update instead of upgrade. My main concern is why I can't type a printer name in the add printer box. When I click on apple menu>systems prefs.>Print & Fax> Add(+) Add Printer box opens but wont accept any typing. ( I unlocked the lock to make changes with a password) No printer list is shown.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.12.4
Still without printer. Am now connected by usb cable but still not able to print. After clicking on Apple menu>system preferences>Print and fax>unlock lock with password>add printer pane appears then click on add printer then Canon MP640 series shows under Printer Name, USB shows under Kind. Then I click on Add then the "Would you like to download and install software for Canon MP640 series?"pane appears, Then I click on install and the progress bar continues part way then the message appears "The software is currently unavailable. You can check for the software update from the Apple menu." Already did that. Have tried all the suggested methods of getting connected multiple times with no success.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early '11 13" MacbookPro OS X ML 10.8.2
I am in the same boat, although with an HP Photosmart c4580. It worked fine ever since i have had my MBP(early '11) and even after i updated to Mountain Lion, but then my wireless router got swapped out for a new one(better one) and now I can not get it connected wirelessly to save my life. Hook it up via USB and no problem, but as soon as I unplug the USB cable, it immediately shows offline. I have a PC laptop just to have a PC around and i was able to connect it wirelessly, so I do not believe the new router to be the issue, but since it was working after the ML update, i am baffled as to why it won't find it on my network. I had another issue after the router change as well, but dealing with connecting to the wifi in general; was getting the self-assigned IP address message, but that has since resolved itself. Maybe this printer issue will too, but in the mean time, anybody have any suggestions? The HP support site says that one does not need any HP drivers with OS X and that one simply must check for software updates in the App store, but my MB is up to date so i am at a loss....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.