iCloud just won't sync some apps

Nxr

Reaction score
Hello, for some reason some apps won't sync through iCloud either in my first gen iPad or iPhone 3GS. It's not a new thing with iOS 6, they've never synced.

These apps are Alien Blue and Tweetbot. I've tried everything I've thought of, which include reinstalling apps, logging with my associate iCloud mail instead, reintalling iOS, changing my password to the new requirements... and the only thing remaining is just buying a new device and log with my account without pulling backups or anything (I've already tried this with my old hardware without success).
iAWriter is able to sync without issues though, as do Notes, Passbook, etc.

My Apple ID is a google GAFYD account (so gmail with a custom domain), and my icloud mail is the me.com one the used to give in iOS 5. So I guess my question really is if maybe there's any issue with my addresses that may create a conflict with the iCloud sync API or whatever the developer of those apps did, or is something that has to do with the hardware? Could it me the @me.com instead of @icloud.com? I don't come from MobileMe anyway.

Thank you.

OP
N

Nxr

Reaction score
From my reading, not all apps are supported by Icloud
5 Third-Party Apps That Work With iCloud | Mac|Life
is only of many sites that can help..
best

The ones I talk about obviously are ;P Tweetbot has an option to sync the last tweet you read, and Alien Blue (a Reddit client) syncs the posts that you've read without having to toggle any option. It won't do it to me though.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
With issues related to only 2 apps and others are working, the problem is typically with the app itself.

From Tweetbot:

Getting iCloud Sync to work properly can be tricky for some. Here are a few steps to make sure you have everything set up correctly:

tips - scroll down to the "What is iCloud Sync? How do I get it to work?" section.

Would guess the other one probably has some info in their help/Faq section also.

If you can't find those in forums using (or able to assist) with a particular app, it's often time to send off an email to their support team.

OP
N

Nxr

Reaction score
Hi bobtomay, already saw that FAQ, sadly it didn't help.

I was looking for people with similar unresolved issues, maybe related to the account mails I described before, more than supoort for those apps, so I can discard things before contacting them.

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Only other thing I noticed is to make sure you've upgraded the iPad 1 to at least iOS 5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Did you buy those apps using the same Apple ID as the one you are now using for iCloud? I'm not sure if that actually matters, but it may as well be looked into. You can verify what Apple ID it is was bought with via iTunes. Use Get Info on the apps in question.

Otherwise I have to agree it's probably the app. For example... I have Where's My Water? on my iPhone and on my iPad. They all use iCloud to sync the game data so my scores, progress, and achievements are carried over to each device. That worked fine for the original Swampy levels and the Cranky levels. But right now, the Lost levels and the Mystery Duck levels won't sync, and I have verified that syncing is enabled on both devices. I'm not entirely certain if this started when I updated my iPhone to iOS 6 (my 1st gen iPad is forever stuck on iOS 5), so that may be a factor here.

OP
N

Nxr

Reaction score
Yes, both devices are updated (the phone to iOS6), but they never synced either way sinc iCloud came out Nd the apps started supporting it. And yes, I use only one Apple ID.

I guess it's the apps then, I may try formatting everything and setting up iCloud again or a new account to see if it's that and then contact the developer...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.