iMac G5: Sell it broken or try to fix it?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a 2007 iMac G5 24" desktop computer. The computer developed a problem in which a message appears saying "you must restart your computer." I did some research and found out this was called a kernel panic. Took it to the apple store 3 times and it was never fixed. I ended up purchasing a new computer, and this has been in the closet for about 2 years now. The computer is now out of the time frame that apple will fix it (5+ years old).

The computer will not boot up. I have tried to start it in safe mode, but the message still appears. I've tried placing the original OS disc for the system repair, but it comes up clean. I am not good with working on computers, so repairing it myself is pretty much not an option.

Should I sell this computer broken, on a site like craigslist? I put it up and have gotten numerous inquiries about it. I also got an offer for $200. This makes me think people know a way to fix it and they are willing to buy it off of me for cheap and make a good profit from fixing it. What exactly do you all think this would be worth broken? Or is it worth trying to get it fixed somewhere and selling it for a higher price if fixed? I would like to mention that when I bought this computer new it was about $2300.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a 2007 iMac G5 24" desktop computer.

First…you have misidentified this computer. It is not a "24" iMac G5" computer. Apple discontinued all "G5" computers in 2006…and Apple never made a 24" G5 iMac. But this is a good thing…since it is then an Intel based Mac…which is better!:)

Should I sell this computer broken, on a site like craigslist? I put it up and have gotten numerous inquiries about it. I also got an offer for $200. This makes me think people know a way to fix it and they are willing to buy it off of me for cheap and make a good profit from fixing it.

If this computer was working 100% (which it isn't)…it would be worth closer to $500 (maybe a touch more). Not working 100%…$200 is probably what someone feels the "sellable" parts are worth (maybe a little bit more).

Sure if you knew exactly what was wrong with it…and could get it repaired for less than say $300…then yes…you could sell it for $500. But it could have something major wrong with it…costing much more than the computer is worth to fix it.

I would like to mention that when I bought this computer new it was about $2300.

Sorry…but this means absolutely nothing! EVERY new computer costs a lot when new…but computers depreciate VERY rapidly. And since this computer is now 5+ years old…it's value has depreciated greatly (par for the course).

In any case…we would probably need more info to help you figure out if it is repairable (but maybe after 2 years of being in the closet…these details may be hard to recall). Keep in mind…there really aren't a whole lot of replaceable parts inside of an iMac to replace. And those that are replaceable are pretty expensive (hundreds of dollars).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Nick suggests take the $200 and put it towards an iMac refurbed from Apple.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As Nick suggests take the $200 and put it towards an iMac refurbed from Apple.

Especially since it's been sitting in a closet for 2 years…and not being used in any way (which means $0.00 in the pocket of the owner).

This computer probably lost $150-$200 in value just sitting in the closet for 2 years!:(

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Well it has been awhile since I bought it! You are right, it is an intel based iMac.

Thank you both for your help. The only other thing I can say about it is that the message that appears saying I must restart the computer happened occasionally, but became worse. At first I would just reset the computer then it would work for a day or two without any problems. Now it will not get past the grey apple screen with the loading ring on startup without having the kernel panic.
In any case…we would probably need more info to help you figure out if it is repairable (but maybe after 2 years of being in the closet…these details may be hard to recall). Keep in mind…there really aren't a whole lot of replaceable parts inside of an iMac to replace. And those that are replaceable are pretty expensive (hundreds of dollars).

I looked back at some of the paperwork from when I took it into apple to get it fixed, they first installed a new fan which did not help. The second time they said that the kernel panic happened even with an external hard drive. From there they basically told me to buy a new computer.

If you all think that it would not be wise to try to get it repaired, do you think the $200 is a good offer to take? I have about 8-10 people asking about it, so I do not know if the specs might point toward a higher parts resale value.
A few specs:
2.8ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
2Gb 800mhz ddr2 sdram
320gb seriel ata drive
Nvidia GeForce 8800

Thanks again!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only other thing I can say about it is that the message that appears saying I must restart the computer happened occasionally, but became worse. At first I would just reset the computer then it would work for a day or two without any problems. Now it will not get past the grey apple screen with the loading ring on startup without having the kernel panic.

Many times…kernel panics are hardware based…and the most common hardware issue (related to kernel panics)…is installing incorrect ram.

So my questions would be:

- Was the ram ever upgraded in this computer?
- If so, where did the ram come from?
- Who did the install?

There of course are other hardware issues that can cause kernel panics. Sometimes these are related to the logic board…and if that's the case…you're talking "mucho dinero"!

I do not know if the specs might point toward a higher parts resale value.
A few specs:
2.8ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
2Gb 800mhz ddr2 sdram
320gb seriel ata drive
Nvidia GeForce 8800

Thanks again!

This is actually a pretty good computer for everyday computing (internet, e-mail, etc.)…but if it's broke…then it's just a BIG paper-weight!;)

- Nick

p.s. With the specs provided…this computer is actually a bit newer than mentioned in the initial post. It's actually a 2008 model…not 2007. Hey…every year helps!;)

p.p.s. Additionally (with the specs given) this computer is worth more. If it was working 100% (which it isn't)…it would be worth closer to $650. But again…without knowing what is wrong with it…its current value is really hard to put a number on.

OP
B
Reaction score
Many times…kernel panics are hardware based…and the most common hardware issue (related to kernel panics)…is installing incorrect ram.

So my questions would be:

- Was the ram ever upgraded in this computer?
- If so, where did the ram come from?
- Who did the install?

There of course are other hardware issues that can cause kernel panics. Sometimes these are related to the logic board…and if that's the case…you're talking "mucho dinero"!
Good thought on the ram, but the ram was never upgraded on the computer. I never had anything else additional added on to it. I cannot think of a particular reason why it started happening. One day it just happened and progressively got worse. I definitely do not want to spend a lot on trying to find the right repair for it, since I already purchased another computer.

This is actually a pretty good computer for everyday computing (internet, e-mail, etc.)…but if it's broke…then it's just a BIG paper-weight!;)

- Nick

p.s. With the specs provided…this computer is actually a bit newer than mentioned in the initial post. It's actually a 2008 model…not 2007. Hey…every year helps!;)

p.p.s. Additionally (with the specs given) this computer is worth more. If it was working 100% (which it isn't)…it would be worth closer to $650. But again…without knowing what is wrong with it…its current value is really hard to put a number on.
The computer was great while it was working. I ended up getting another iMac after this one broke and have not had any problems. I could not recall exactly when I purchased it, but it must have been early 2008. I agree it is very hard to place a value on it while it is broken. Hard decision between taking it in to see what a repair place thinks about it or just letting it go.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good thought on the ram, but the ram was never upgraded on the computer. I never had anything else additional added on to it. I cannot think of a particular reason why it started happening. One day it just happened and progressively got worse. I definitely do not want to spend a lot on trying to find the right repair for it, since I already purchased another computer.

There's not a whole lot of troubleshooting you can do yourself…but one thing you can do is something that is related to the ram. Even though the ram was never upgraded since new…this doesn't mean the ram couldn't have gone bad with it while you've had it. Or maybe one of the ram slots themselves has gone bad.

Your iMac has 2 ram slots…and most likely has two sticks of ram installed in it (one in each ram slot)…probably 2 x 1gig sticks of ram. So we have:

- ram slot 1
- ram slot 2

- ram stick A
- ram stick B

The idea is to try all combinations to see if one of the sticks of ram are bad…or one of the ram slots are bad (only one stick of ram installed at a time). So you would need to do:

Test #1: Slot 1 + Stick A
Test #2: Slot 1 + Stick B
Test #3: Slot 2 + Stick A
Test #4: Slot 2 + Stick B

This may or may not be the problem…but by doing the tests…you can at least eliminate it as a possibility…and it's one of the troubleshooting things you can do without a repair shop or special diagnostic software.

One additional thought. You should have gotten 2 gray-colored disks which this computer when new. Disk #2 has a "Hardware Test" program on it. You could run it…and it may possibly turn something up as the problem.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just a quick note, I bought a Macbook that was getting KP's and even shutting down by itself. Stock RAM. There was a bad chip. Put in another matched pair and it's been 100% stable since.

Check the RAM. Also pull it and plug it back in a couple of times.

OP
B
Reaction score
There's not a whole lot of troubleshooting you can do yourself…but one thing you can do is something that is related to the ram. Even though the ram was never upgraded since new…this doesn't mean the ram couldn't have gone bad with it while you've had it. Or maybe one of the ram slots themselves has gone bad.

Your iMac has 2 ram slots…and most likely has two sticks of ram installed in it (one in each ram slot)…probably 2 x 1gig sticks of ram. So we have:

- ram slot 1
- ram slot 2

- ram stick A
- ram stick B

The idea is to try all combinations to see if one of the sticks of ram are bad…or one of the ram slots are bad (only one stick of ram installed at a time). So you would need to do:

Test #1: Slot 1 + Stick A
Test #2: Slot 1 + Stick B
Test #3: Slot 2 + Stick A
Test #4: Slot 2 + Stick B

This may or may not be the problem…but by doing the tests…you can at least eliminate it as a possibility…and it's one of the troubleshooting things you can do without a repair shop or special diagnostic software.

Interesting, I tried all four variations. Only one of them would actually power on the computer to the gray screen with the apple logo. It still did the kernel panic. The other 3 variations would not power on the screen. It stayed black while the white power light in the front of the monitor housing blinked off and on. Nothing happened even though I could hear the computer making noises.

One additional thought. You should have gotten 2 gray-colored disks which this computer when new. Disk #2 has a "Hardware Test" program on it. You could run it…and it may possibly turn something up as the problem.

- Nick
I put in the first disk a week ago and ran the test. I cannot remember exactly but I believe it was a software test. Only problem now is that the disc will not eject at all, so I am unable to try to put in the second disk.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I put in the first disk a week ago and ran the test. I cannot remember exactly but I believe it was a software test. Only problem now is that the disc will not eject at all, so I am unable to try to put in the second disk.

Disk #1 doesn't have the hardware test on it…disk #2 does.

To eject the disk:

1. Press the disk eject button on the keyboard (key above the Delete Key). The key with the underlined triangle on it.
2. Reboot the computer…and press and hold down the mouse button until the disk ejects.

- Nick

Reaction score
I would change the Ram and nuke the drive and reinstall the OS. I had a usb hub cause KP. Change the keyboard and mouse.

OP
B
Reaction score
Disk #1 doesn't have the hardware test on it…disk #2 does.

To eject the disk:

1. Press the disk eject button on the keyboard (key above the Delete Key). The key with the underlined triangle on it.
2. Reboot the computer…and press and hold down the mouse button until the disk ejects.

- Nick
Thanks, I was able to get the disc out. However, disc #2 would not initiate a hardware test. I looked at disc #1 again and it says on it Hardware Test (hold d key on startup.) I did it and it came up clean.
I would change the Ram and nuke the drive and reinstall the OS. I had a usb hub cause KP. Change the keyboard and mouse.
I tried switching keyboards and the mouse. No luck. Is there a way to reinstall the OS even though I am having kernel panics on startup. I cannot even get into the computer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I was able to get the disc out. However, disc #2 would not initiate a hardware test. I looked at disc #1 again and it says on it Hardware Test (hold d key on startup.) I did it and it came up clean.

Maybe the hardware test is on different disks (#1 vs. #2) sometimes.

The hardware test on the disk is not the best…but it's better than nothing. The software the folks at the Apple Store have is much better. What I'm trying to say is…just because the hardware test on the gray disk didn't come up with anything…doesn't mean that there isn't anything wrong. I've had this sort of thing happen many times (hardware test showed nothing…but there was clearly something wrong).

And also remember…if something is wrong with the computer…it could be on the logic board. And if this is the case…then we would be talking some significant bucks for replacement parts & install.

The suggestions "Mac SK" and myself are suggesting…are things the average user can try from home. If these ideas don't identify the problem…it could be more serious (which probably should surprise you)…since the computer has been in the closet for 2 years.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
The software the folks at the Apple Store have is much better.
Do you mean the apple care disc that comes with the care plan when you buy it? I do have that disc. Is there a test I can run from that?
And also remember…if something is wrong with the computer…it could be on the logic board. And if this is the case…then we would be talking some significant bucks for replacement parts & install.
I understand that it would take a lot of money to fix it if it is in fact the logic board. Do you know if there is any reason as to why I had trouble switching around the ram? Only one of the 4 configurations would actually power on the computer - does this point to something being wrong with the ram itself or possibly the socket?
Thanks for your help and quick responses!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you mean the apple care disc that comes with the care plan when you buy it? I do have that disc. Is there a test I can run from that?

I'm talking about special diagnostic software that only Apple technicians have.

Do you know if there is any reason as to why I had trouble switching around the ram? Only one of the 4 configurations would actually power on the computer - does this point to something being wrong with the ram itself or possibly the socket?

Yes…the results of the ram test were a bit confusing. But it really doesn't matter…since even in the one test where the computer started up ok…this setup still got a kernel panic.

As "Mac SK" suggested earlier…if you had the appropriate "known good ram" for this computer…I would use that ram…just in case BOTH of the current ram sticks were bad. This may or may not fix the computer…but it would eliminate the ram as the problem area.

- Nick

Reaction score
I lost track..how many sticks are installed. Remove them and install one in the slot next to the CPU.Start the machine.

Hey Nick...saw a flower pot Mac at the thrift store..it was $89.00. Had OS 9.2 on it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Nick...saw a flower pot Mac at the thrift store..it was $89.00. Had OS 9.2 on it.

WOW…that's pretty expensive…especially for a Thrift Store. Who do these guys think they are…Walmart!! I bought one of those probably 3 years ago for $50 bucks (one of the faster 17" models)…the value certainly hasn't gone up!

I'm assuming that you didn't even think twice about buying it…since I know the price you like…FREE!!!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
WOW…that's pretty expensive…especially for a Thrift Store. Who do these guys think they are…Walmart!! I bought one of those probably 3 years ago for $50 bucks (one of the faster 17" models)…the value certainly hasn't gone up!

I'm assuming that you didn't even think twice about buying it…since I know the price you like…FREE!!!;)

- Nick

If I was really :Mischievous:I would of put the system finder in the trash and wait for the mark down. It was up in the (Showcase) I closed like a zillion windows and checked the specs...to many people playing with it..it may be messed up by now....I might give $20 for it.:Cool:

OP
B
Reaction score
I lost track..how many sticks are installed. Remove them and install one in the slot next to the CPU.Start the machine.

There are 2 sticks, 1 gb a piece. I tried doing that, but still had the kernel panic. Tried the other variation also.

Here is some new information I found digging into old paperwork:
Apparently when I first took it in, my genuis bar paperwork says they issued to Hardware repairs (level 1?). The second time I took it in it says they experienced a kernel panic even with an external hdd. Does this rule out the hard drive being bad?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.