iMac G5: Sell it broken or try to fix it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There are 2 sticks, 1 gb a piece. I tried doing that, but still had the kernel panic. Tried the other variation also.

Here is some new information I found digging into old paperwork:
Apparently when I first took it in, my genuis bar paperwork says they issued to Hardware repairs (level 1?). The second time I took it in it says they experienced a kernel panic even with an external hdd. Does this rule out the hard drive being bad?

Hard drives are rarely the cause of kernel panics (KP)...and if they did cause a KP...they are soooo easy to replace!:)

From what you mentioned about the Apple Store using an external HD to boot from, and they still got a KP...I would agree that your iMac's internal HD is not the problem.

I just want to mention again. The KP's this iMac is experiencing could totally be due to something we are not capable of identifying in a "home environment". All we can do is "fuss" with the things we can investigate (mostly the ram)...and to do this thoroughly...you would have to 100% sure the ram you have is good.

This can only be done by using different ram that you are 100% positive is good...or take the ram you currently have...and install it into a 2nd computer (that uses the same exact ram) to see if that 2nd computer functions properly. I realize that you may not have these options available to you...so this is a limitation on how well be can be sure that the ram is or is not the cause of the kernel panics.

Unless I'm getting mixed up with all the details in this thread. I think that we should have some confidence in the Apple Store technicians...that if this KP problem was an easy fix (bad ram, bad HD, etc.)...they would have found it. It's very possible that it's something else (such as some of the hardware on the logic board has gone bad in some way)...which is NOT repairable. Or at least not repairable cheaply...or by anyone without VERY highly skilled technicians & a well equipped repair facility (which would probably have to be better than most Apple facilities).

Logic boards are replaced...not repaired. And replacement logic boards rarely cost less than $250 (very old computers)...and many times can cost $350, $450, even upwards of $500+.

I think that you have done some very good troubleshooting (with help from Mac-Forums). But you're kind of reaching the limits of what someone can do at home...with limited (or no) replacement parts to swap with (namely 100% good ram), a replacement HD, and maybe appropriate OS install disks.

This computer was sitting in a closet for 2 years (unloved):(...and now a "crash-course" is being undertaken to determine if it is suffering from something simple (which should have been done 2 years ago before a new computer was purchased);)...yes I know you took it to the Apple Store.:)

I think that this computers "best days" are behind it.:( Time to put it on Craig's List (CL)...inform buyers of it's problems...and hope for the best. Any cash you get for it will certainly be better then the zero cash is has contributed sitting in a closet for 2 years,;) Also realize that 2 years in the closet has lowered it's value (plus it's not working). So don't expect any miracle offers from CL!;)

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you for all of your help, I am satisfied with all I have done to try to fix it. One last thing I could try is that I have another iMac (same specs and same purchase date) that is my brothers. His is working just fine still but I would need to be 100% sure that if I try using his memory in my broken computer it has not chance of messing up his ram. Is there a possibility that it could harm his ram/computer?

I also received a new offer of $350 that I might jump on!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One last thing I could try is that I have another iMac (same specs and same purchase date) that is my brothers. His is working just fine still but I would need to be 100% sure that if I try using his memory in my broken computer it has not chance of messing up his ram. Is there a possibility that it could harm his ram/computer?

Hey that's pretty awesome…an opportunity that many folks don't have. Nope…no problem using your ram in your brothers iMac.

- If your brother's iMac kernel panics with your ram…then you know your ram is bad...which would actually be a VERY GOOD thing…since then all you would need to do is buy new ram for your iMac.
- If your brother's iMac works fine with your ram…then you know that your ram is good…and the problem with your iMac is something else (probably more serious).

I also received a new offer of $350 that I might jump on!

That's certainly better than $200…and probably more than 50% of it's actual current market value (if it was working 100%). It might be a good idea to jump on that offer ASAP…since folks on CL can change their minds VERY quickly (I know from experience)!!!;)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
- If your brother's iMac kernel panics with your ram…then you know your ram is bad...which would actually be a VERY GOOD thing…since then all you would need to do is buy new ram for your iMac.
- If your brother's iMac works fine with your ram…then you know that your ram is good…and the problem with your iMac is something else (probably more serious).
Thanks for suggesting trying this.
I convinced him to let me borrow his ram, he wouldn't let me put my ram in his haha. His good ram in my bad computer still produced the same kernel panic though. Hopefully this way would produce the same results as putting my ram in his. If so, at least we know its not a cheap and fixable ram problem.

I really appreciate your help with this, it was definitely worth trying all of your suggestions. Hopefully this thread can serve as some help for others if they are having my problem!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I convinced him to let me borrow his ram, he wouldn't let me put my ram in his haha. His good ram in my bad computer still produced the same kernel panic though. Hopefully this way would produce the same results as putting my ram in his. If so, at least we know its not a cheap and fixable ram problem.

Your brothers "good ram" tried in your iMac is just as good!:) If you're still getting the KP's…then it's not the ram…something more serious.

No one can say you didn't try!:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Is it possible to clear my information from the iMac before I sell it? It's not completely necessary because I do not think I have anything very personal on it, but it would be better knowing my information is gone.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it possible to clear my information from the iMac before I sell it? It's not completely necessary because I do not think I have anything very personal on it, but it would be better knowing my information is gone.

You could sell it without the hard drive (very common)...especially since it's not working anyway. Otherwise you need to boot the computer from an OS disk...and "secure erase" the HD via Disk Utility.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.