Strange noises and irregular startups

L

likewings

Yesterday my ibook descided to make a bizzare whizzing noise that eventually leads to the OS freezing up. When I reboot it, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.When it does, it seems to be fine for a while until i move it slightly...then the whizzing starts.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Sounds like your hard drive is going bad.. I reccomend saving a backup of your data as soon as possible. Also, use the disk utility that is in the Utilities folder to see if it reports something wrong with your hard drive. You crashes lead me to beleve that the read/write head/ and or drive motor is unbalanced or downright failing.
andway good luck and I hope it gets fixed!

OP
L

likewings

update: It loads the white screen and nothing after that now. I tried loading it with the tiger CD but it couldnt find a volume to install to.

Thanks for your information

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
Applestore. You take. Now.

OP
R

radarbob

Launch Disk Utility and select your drive's icon. Now look at the bottom of the window at "S.M.A.R.T. Status". What does it say?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.