Yet Another PC vs. Mac Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro mid-2012 Retina OS X 10.15.7 8 GB memory 500 GB storage
As a lifelong PC user, I feel like I just entered the lion's den. I am here because I am beginning to get frustrated with my PC's performance reliability and I see a lot of positives with a Mac. I researched how to run Windows programs on a Mac as clearly most of my software is Windows based. As I scroll through this forum, I see a lot of Mac issues and problems. So, give it to me straight. Will running Windows programs on a Mac make me happier than using a PC? If so, why?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Rick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As I scroll through this forum, I see a lot of Mac issues and problems.

No system is perfect. If it was…then everyone would be using it!:)

Obviously since this is a product-based internet forum (where folks generally discuss their issues with the product(s))…many of these issues will be of a less than positive nature. Which sometimes there is a "real" problem…and sometimes it's simply a lack of knowledge/experience on the part of the poster.:)

This would be a pretty boring place if all that people posted was:

- My Macintosh works great!:)
- etc. etc.

…get the idea!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
yea, also remember that on pretty much every board out there.. you will ONLY see problems. People, in general, rarely talk about things that work when they expect them to.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, give it to me straight. Will running Windows programs on a Mac make me happier than using a PC? If so, why?

This is difficult to answer…it's hard to know exactly what makes people "happier"!;)

All I can say is…there are 1000's and 1000's and 1000's of folks that have switched from Windows to the Mac OS. And let me make this very clear…it's about the switch to a different OS…it's NOT about the hardware!

Is a Macintosh computer for everyone…of course not. Only you can be the judge.:)

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
To run Windows programs on a Mac, you need Windows. Either through a virtual machine or through Boot Camp. Either which way, you still have Windows albiet with different hardware. If the programs you want to run are capable of running in a VM, then you could build a VM with Windows, snapshot that VM after installing your application and then use it for a while. If the VM slows down, revert to the clean snapshot and continue..

With Boot Camp, you have to deal with the usual things with WIndows as far a anti-virus and maintanence programs.

If you can find Mac equivalents of the Windows programs you run, then you're in the ideal situation to benefit from the Mac hardware and OS X.

Now while it is possible run Windows exclusively on the Mac hardware, you're spending quite a bit of money for that while you could easily purchase a new PC for far less...

New users have to go through the learning curve of a new OS and there are issues along the way. Some issues are directly related to Boot Camp through which users have to partition their hard drive to make space for Windows, but a few wrong clicks and you've blown OS X away..

Anyway, tell us what kinds of programs you run and what your budget might be and we can start from there..

OP
Rick T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,

Yes, I am pretty familiar with the purpose of a technical forum and I have worked in the service industry for 37 years. And yes, I know nothing is perfect.

So all that aside, do you have any feedback on the question I asked.

Rick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you would be getting a Mac just to run Windows programs, then I would stick with a PC. Not worth the $$$ to just make it a Windows machine.

So your question was:

"Will running Windows programs on a Mac make me happier than using a PC? If so, why?"

No, not at all. Windows is Windows whether on a Mac or a PC. If you got all OSX versions of your apps, then the answer might be different.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,

Yes, I am pretty familiar with the purpose of a technical forum and I have worked in the service industry for 37 years. And yes, I know nothing is perfect.

Yes…with your experience...you should know that when you see issues & problems posted on a technical forum…that's "par for the course". Anyone should expect to see this.

So then the more appropriate question might be…are these issues & problems something a person thinking of purchasing a Macintosh computer…should turn-around…and run like **** away from the product!;) And my answer would be…of course not…all of us here aren't "gluttons for punishment"!;)

The question isn't about "issues & problems"…it's about is switching to the Mac OS right for you. And my questions to you are:

- What Macintosh & Mac OS experience do you have?
- How much internet research have you done to answer your questions/concerns?

So all that aside, do you have any feedback on the question I asked.

Yes I do…posted above & in this post.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you would be getting a Mac just to run Windows programs, then I would stick with a PC. Not worth the $$$ to just make it a Windows machine.

Great point Dennis!:)

@Rick T: A Macintosh computer certainly shouldn't be seen as an additional "platform choice" to run the Windows OS! A Macintosh computers primary purpose is to run the Mac OS, and Macintosh applications. Not to primarily run the Windows OS.

If you don't have a strong need to run/learn/experience the Mac OS…or run Macintosh applications…definitely stick with "Windows Computers"!:)

- Nick

OP
Rick T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ashwin,

Thank you for the solid information you provided. It has sparked numerous questions I need to research regarding some of the programs I run, all of which are proprietary programs developed by and for the internet marketing industry. I need to verify if they would run on a Mac or not.

I know that MS Office for Mac exists, so that helps.

I do not want to switch just to run nothing but Windows programs. I have used PC's for so many years because they were the staple of most companies and my home system needed to be compatible. I am out of that world now, so I am not tied to PC's.

I should mention that I have done a fair amount of research into Macs and, as a result, recently purchased a MacBook Air for my wife. She will use it primarily for internet and email access plus one Windows spreadsheet program that is specific to a business she has started. I perceive the Mac to be simpler and easier for her to use as she currently has an iPad and has only used PC's at work with programs that are industry specific. Without having been using a PC at home, I think she will be able to get on with the Mac just fine.

What i learned when researching her computer is what made me start thinking of switching mine. A MacBook Pro 15" (Standard display) is less expensive than my four year old HP desktop replacement laptop.

Rick

OP
Rick T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dennis & Nick,

I appreciate your feedback. As I mentioned to Ashwin, I need to check to see if the proprietary software programs I use will run on a Mac.Some are net based and not resident, so they should not be a problem.

I do not want to strictly run Windows programs as I agree that would be neither cost effective nor efficient.

I like all that I see from researching Macs. Every Mac owner I have talked to is more than satisfied with them (kinda like Honda owners). I have no problem learning a new OS.

Rick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do not want to switch just to run nothing but Windows programs. I have used PC's for so many years because they were the staple of most companies and my home system needed to be compatible. I am out of that world now, so I am not tied to PC's.

Great to hear!:) Both that you're interested in Macintosh computers for more than running Windows apps….and that you are no longer tied to Windows PC's!!!;) The fact off the matter is…MANY Macintosh computer owners use Windows computers (and the Windows OS) when they are at work…but use Macintosh computers when they are at home.

Would these same users prefer to use Macintosh computers at work…darn right they would!!! But MANY corporations have too much time, money, experience, and maintaining the status quo invested in Windows computers to ever switch to Mac's. But…this is where many companies are integrating iPads & iPhones into their day to day activities…and this is a GREAT start!!!:)

I should mention that I have done a fair amount of research into Macs and, as a result, recently purchased a MacBook Air for my wife.

Great to hear as well! This certainly gives you plenty of access/opportunity to "mess-around" with a Macintosh computer/Mac OS…before taking the plunge into purchasing another Mac.:)

I perceive the Mac to be simpler and easier for her to use as she currently has an iPad and has only used PC's at work with programs that are industry specific. Without having been using a PC at home, I think she will be able to get on with the Mac just fine.

This is actually one of the "secrets & strengths" of the Mac OS! To work smarter…not harder!:) There's no reason someone should need a PhD. in Computer Science to use a personal computer.

Add to this the stability of the UNIX computer language (which the Mac OS is based on)…and you end up with a very stable & very easy to use computer!:)

- Nick

OP
Rick T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, you are about to bring me over from the dark side!

Rick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, you are about to bring me over from the dark side!

Rick

Ha ha ha…"I" wouldn't call it the "dark side"! But I know what you mean!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
As a lifelong PC user, I feel like I just entered the lion's den. I am here because I am beginning to get frustrated with my PC's performance reliability and I see a lot of positives with a Mac. I researched how to run Windows programs on a Mac as clearly most of my software is Windows based. As I scroll through this forum, I see a lot of Mac issues and problems. So, give it to me straight. Will running Windows programs on a Mac make me happier than using a PC? If so, why?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Rick

Depends on the program.

I feel like my Macs have, in general, been more stable and reliable than the PC's I've used.

However, the Microsoft Office on OSX I've used has it's own issues that the PC version of it doesn't have.

I'll still gladly take my Macs over the PC's I've used. Except the custom built gaming-only PC monsters.

Reaction score
I run windows on my MacBook Air, and let me tell you, Windows actually runs much better and smoother on the Mac than any other PC ive used. I also started buying Mac's as PC's are very unreliable in many different ways. I had to install windows on a portion of my HD as I also use a lot of windows based software for work.
I also installed Office on the windows partition and it runs flawlessly

OP
Rick T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
brently,

Interesting information. Thanks for your input.

Rick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I run windows on my MacBook Air, and let me tell you, Windows actually runs much better and smoother on the Mac than any other PC ive used.

Likely because you're accustomed to running Windows as preinstalled by an OEM, accompanied by a ton of crapware.

There is no special sauce in Apple hardware, it is commodity x86 hardware, albeit with EFI instead of BIOS. These days, Mac vs. "PC" is a false dichotomy. There is little difference - it's whose case styling, hardware choices and OS you like better.

In the case of the Mac, you get the best of all worlds, since you can (legally) run all major OSes.

I also started buying Mac's as PC's are very unreliable in many different ways.

It depends on the quality of the hardware. Simply put, you get what you pay for. Those $400 laptops are cost-cut as much as possible, and that cost-cutting yields lower reliability. Yes, you'll pay premium prices for Apple hardware, but you do tend to get a well-made machine (though I have occasionally seen Apple use crap hard drives).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To add to what CWA said, Also Apple hardware is more expensive for what you get. True it's nicely made, but to get a Mac just to run Windows is a waste of $$$.

As far as reliability, most are the issues Windows has with Malware and Registry errors. Since I am careful and know what I am doing, I rarely have Windows issues, but OSX is still a much better OS.

Good hardware is good hardware, and usually if you pay the same price for a Windows machine as you do a comparable Mac, they both should be equally well made. Some PCs though tend to be a bit more Plastic though.

If you want OSX, then a Mac is the way to go. If you need windows more than for some games or a few apps, best to get a Windows machine.

Reaction score
I moved over to the Apple side a couple of weeks ago because I was becoming increasingly frustrated with the continual issues I was having with Windows 7. For me it wasn't the lure of the hardware (though the Macbook Pro is rather lovely), it was all about the OS. I beta tested the new Windows OS and didn't like it so Mac seemed the best way to go.

I run a small web company so this was a big decision to make, and so far it's been good one.

I bought a Macbook Pro a few years ago, planning to do the same thing but returned it. Back then the OS (in my opinion) wasn't as productive as Windows XP which I was using at that time, and the laptop had serious overheating issues.

Now I couldn't be happier, the current Mac OS is a joy to use compared to current Windows OS and the laptop performs superbly - no overheating and the OS is much improved.

I'm slowly moving things over from the PC's, and hope to be fully Mac based in a few months.

I'd never run Windows on this machine, it kinda misses the point for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.