External hard drives

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How do I delete the data in part or full, from the external hard disk?

Move whatever you don't want to the trash…then empty the trash. It's the exact same procedure you would use if you wanted to get rid of items from a computers internal hard drive.:)

- Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
To this excellent advice, I might add that if your EHD (by that I mean a connected external hard drive) is near full or has been overwritten before; you can Go To Utilities> Disc Utility>identify and click the EHD on the left hand side>then click on Erase from the menu on the right; choose as the Format "Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then erase (i.e. reformat the EHD). This has the advantage of ridding your EHD of any quirks or corruptions and lets you start with a pristine disc.

It's a lengthier but more complete eradication of all material on your EHD. Just a thought.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.