Apple Customer Service Under Fire with iPhone 5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27, iPhone 4S, iPad 1,2,& 3, iTouch Multiple Generations
While everyone expected the first weekend of the iPhone 5 to be crazy, it was anticipated that the following weeks would be similar to other device releases, where as you had a few options to purchase the device-

1- order via web and receive 3/4 weeks later
2- Go to apple store and wait for the delivery with first come first serve mentality
3- Wait 6 weeks and go to your carrier or Electronic Superstore (Bestbuy)

After the release weekend, the apple store reiterated the options above - and indeed I went to the apple store daily - to which the store(s) truly believed they were getting shipments. As the day past without delivery, it was clear Apple Retail doesn't have a clue of what's happening.

As of Wednesday, the store now tells you to go to website after 10PM and order to pickup the following day in the local store. Sadly the Apple Stores are NOT getting anticipated delivery - thusly the 10PM online option is non existent. When speaking to the Apple Store folks, including the managers, it's clear they don't know what going on and are VERY apologetic.

For the first time in a long time, it feels and smells like Apple doesn't know how to handle the consumers with this Launch. This type of Chaos will have negative implications on their stock and potential customer base as new clients will or want to deal with it. Any phone competitor choosing to attack this, could do some damage in my opinion.

Apple- I love you, but please take control and improve your communication.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Maybe this is US centric (making the assumption you're in the US). In the UK I know people that got pre-orders on the 21st. I've order via my carrier for delivery 10th Oct (would've been sooner if I'd not stalled ordering til after the weekend).

In a major shopping 'mall' in Manchester some carrier shops had stock, some didn't and the Apple store was signing people up without reservation or appointment. Not sure about the sim-free option.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The demand for new iPhones has been great since the first one was released. Nearly EVERYONE should, by now, know the routine. If you DO want to get the new iPhone, you pre-order it. There are a number that are produced to meet this initial demand. There is a second number of phones that are shipped to the various Apple Stores, and if you want to be the first thing to grab that, do the necessary lining up based on previous demand in your location. A number of the phones are also sent to stores of various carriers and you do the necessary to get the phone.

If you choose to do none of these and wait, well the supply has to build up again for any further online orders to be fulfilled and the Apple stores to regain their stock. The usually trend is that shipping slips to about 2 weeks. A month or so after the launch of a new iPhones, they are usually readily available as the surge in immediate demand is met.

Now, since 2007 Apple has been going through this and their stock price has done nothing but soar. Competitors have surely tried to get into that market, but no one generates the kind of lines/demands/buzz for their new products like Apple.

So, I'm not entirely sure what you are basis your opinions on since they are surely not supported by the trends witnessed by everyone over the past 5 years.

If you didn't fall into the category of people who wanted the phones on launch day or soon after and didn't take necessary steps, then just wait for a month or two and pick it up with the greatest of ease..

Oh, and unless you can put a link or source to your supposed "report", this thread is getting moved to Schweb's Lounge..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Didn't pre-order and now you want one 5 days post launch?

Nothing new here related to either the iPhone or iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
For the first time in a long time, it feels and smells like Apple doesn't know how to handle the consumers with this Launch. This type of Chaos will have negative implications on their stock and potential customer base as new clients will or want to deal with it. Any phone competitor choosing to attack this, could do some damage in my opinion.

You seem very financially savvy. What are your thoughts on Apple stock as it relates to precious metal futures, and the implications of the indefinite nature of the duration of QE3 on them? Will there be spill-over into rare-earth markets based on ties to currency valuation, or do you think the current controls by state actors will prevent this? Based on a diluted dollar value, rising metal prices and RE speculation, would there be any bearing on Apple stock you can forecast? If so would Apple's stock rise as a response to it's valuation in inflationary dollars, or would it fall based on declining profitability tied to inflated PM component speculation?

Thanks in advance for your independent and thorough analysis.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27, iPhone 4S, iPad 1,2,& 3, iTouch Multiple Generations
You seem very financially savvy. What are your thoughts on Apple stock as it relates to precious metal futures, and the implications of the indefinite nature of the duration of QE3 on them? Will there be spill-over into rare-earth markets based on ties to currency valuation, or do you think the current controls by state actors will prevent this? Based on a diluted dollar value, rising metal prices and RE speculation, would there be any bearing on Apple stock you can forecast? If so would Apple's stock rise as a response to it's valuation in inflationary dollars, or would it fall based on declining profitability tied to inflated PM component speculation?

Thanks in advance for your independent and thorough analysis.

Thank you for the 'witty' sarcasm- the simple truth is that since Monday, that Apple stock has lost 4.3% (please note that I did round as the actual number is 4.2857 (Price of $670.00 compared to $700 5 days ago) - Additionally, the news wire illustrated the issues with the demand of the iPhone 5. I just had the pleasure of dealing with it first hand. Thanks again for your input- greatly appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Actually this has happened recently with previous iPhone and iPad launches as well. So we're really not navigating "new ground" with the iPhone 5 launch!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.