what is the "search for"

Reaction score
I have a question. I have an IMAC 10.6.8 with 8GB ram. In the finder there is a search for--movies, images,documents.(28,000 images ) Is that where every image,doc and movie on my MAC can be found? How about deleted items? Also, I noticed that there are a lot of duplicates. Can I safely delete these duplicates? And is it a good idea to delete stuff to free up space? It looks like there are snippets of images. Can I delete these also? Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Do not delete anything from within the search window that you are not absolutely sure what it is.

That is not where anything is kept - it is a search - the same as a search in Windows - it is not a folder on your drive.

edit: Actually, don't delete anything from within the search window - you want to delete it, go to the folder where it is located to delete it - and make absolutely sure you know exactly what it is you are deleting. I would suggest if it's not something you knowingly put on the drive and now want to delete it - don't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.