Help required -- deleted system/wheel from sharing and permissions

Reaction score
So I just did a big clean up on my hard drive of old files, and wanted to see how much space I now have left on my HD - I right-clicked on Macintosh HD > Get Info.

Under Sharing & Permissions I noticed a strange User listed named "wheels". Afraid that someone had accessed my computer or was somehow sharing on my network, I went ahead like an idiot and deleted the "wheels" user without first researching what it was all about.

Now I cannot boot, nor can I reinstall my OS because it says permission is denied.

I really don't know what to do at this point, I am hoping that there is a command in terminal that can undo deleting wheel/system.

I would very much appreciate the assistance, i'm starting to go a little batty.

Thank you

OP
G
Reaction score
I should also say that every time i boot with option, or off the snow leopard installation disc, the options for "verify disk permissions" and "repair disk permissions" cannot be clicked.

Help would be greatly appreciated

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reaction score
accidental deletion of "wheel" user group from sharing permissions

to anyone referencing this article because they just deleted wheel from sharing and permissions...

before trying sudo chown :wheel / in terminal
or trying boot recovery disc
or trying BatChmod

first try clicking on the cog to the right of the + - beneath the name | privilege list.
the cog should allow you to revert to previous settings in sharing and permissions.

i just made the mistake of deleting wheel, d'oh!
and read all i could find online about restoring it.
i tried the sudo in terminal but my password would not be accepted.
i was trying my admin pass, i should have tried my root pass instead.
before attempting more complex methods of recovery, i clicked the cog
that is between the + - and the (unlocked) lock symbol beneath
the sharing and permissions list of Name | Privilege

and it allowed me to revert to previous, instantly "wheel" came back in the list
between system and everyone, as it had been before i made the mistake of deleting it.

this solution may not work for everyone, but it did work for me, and saved me from
having to try more complex methods of recovery to restore "wheel" successfully.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.