Update to Snow Leopard - HELP

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have macbook pro
2.66 Ghz Intel Core Duo
4 GB Ram

Running OS 10.5.8

I'm trying to update to 10.6 snow leopard to update to mountain lion to download itunes 7 so I can sync my new iphone 5

When try to install snow leopard from a disc and it's telling my computer can't do it.

I find this taxing as I meet the system requirements. My Macbook pro is only 3/12 years old.

Any solutions to this problem or causes as why it will not allow me to update my OS???

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When try to install snow leopard from a disc and it's telling my computer can't do it.

What color is the disk you're using to install Snow Leopard?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The disc color is grey

This is what I was afraid of. I'm going to assume that this gray disk did not come with the computer you're trying to install on.

The gray disks are model specific…and only work with the model computer they shipped with. You need a retail install disk (white disk with a picture of a Snow Leopard on it). You would most likely need to get this via e-Bay.

I would also ask you to consider this. Your computer can be upgraded to OS 10.7 Lion…which must be gotten via calling Apple at their 800 number (not the Apple stores or Apple.com)...Lion is no longer available for download at the Mac App Store.

Once OS 10.7 Lion is installed…then you can access the Mac App Store…purchase, download, and install Mountain Lion (assuming your computer meets the requirements to run Mountain Lion).

-Nick

p.s. Yes…you can go directly from OS 10.5.8 to OS 10.7 Lion.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes…you can go directly from OS 10.5.8 to OS 10.7 Lion.

Is the work around difficult?

Are there steps to get me there?

I don't mind skipping snow leopard.

You're right I got the disc off a family member

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the work around difficult?

Are there steps to get me there?

Actually now that I think about it…you may need to install Snow Leopard to get access to the Mac App Store. OS 10.7 "Lion" when it was available…was downloadable ($29)…and could be purchased on a USB stick ($69).

So if you call Apple…it depends on what form they provide you with. If they can provide you with Lion on a USB stick…then you won't have to download Lion. If you need to download Lion…then you need OS 10.6 Snow Leopard installed to get Mac App. Store access.

The positive to installing Snow Leopard is…then you just skip 10.7 (Lion)…and just download OS 10.8 " Mountain Lion. But this is assuming your MacBook Pro meets the system requirements for Mountain Lion. It probably does…but it doesn't hurt to be 100% sure first.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
But this is assuming your MacBook Pro meets the system requirements for Mountain Lion. It probably does…but it doesn't hurt to be 100% sure first.

- Nick

I think I should be able to procure a copy of snow leopard.
Thanks, I double checked the requirements on Apples home page and my macbook pro meets the requirements for Mountain Lion:

FROM THEIR HOMEPAGE

Supported
Models

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
Xserve (Early 2009)

MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

General Requirements

OS X v10.6.8 or later
2GB of memory
8GB of available space

Thank you one thousand times over

-jason

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.