Slow Internet / wifi speeds

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my router to an Airport Extreme. I was hoping to see a big improvement in internet speeds, but did not notice any real change. After researching typical speeds online, it seems as if a normal speed using speedtest.net is anywhere from 9-11 Mbps. After performing multiple tests on each device I own, I am only getting 1.20 downloads and .26 upload. (Keep in mind, the discrepancy may be due to user error or my lack of knowledge on the topic!)

We do have several devices trying to fight for bandwidth (iPads, iPhones, MBP, iMac, PS3) at various times, but not usually more than 2-3 at once. I have set up an additional 5GHz network for our newer devices to utilize.

My questions:
1. Am I misinterpreting the speed testing results?
2. Is it possible that my modem from my ISP needs upgrading (it is 5-6 years old)?
3. Could my ISP be the problem?
4. Most importantly, is there something else I can do to maximize my speeds?

We have DSL with EarthLink, using a Netopia modem and latest model Airport Extreme.

I greatly appreciate any help you can provide!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In rural Australia on 24Mbps broadband, the speed you quote is well below my 9Mbps average. To do with old telephone lines, distances from exchanges, processor speed and modem/router capabilities. To be honest have never noticed the slightest difference between the Airport Extreme, Netcomm and Linksys modems they all seem to connect at similar speeds.

Check to see if the modem is 802.11G rated. As a rule ISP here do not supply modems you purchase either from them or bring your own. Cannot answer about ISP as you are overseas from me, however most seem to be offering a similar service to their customers, and to retain them.

C

chas_m

In order to answer your question, we'd need to know what speed level you are signed up for with your ISP.

Most service providers offer "tiers" of speeds. Many offer what is casually called "slo-pitch" or high-speed lite which is cheaper but offers the kinds of speeds you're getting. I pay for 20Mbps and get it, but my upload speed is terrible (500Kbps). I wish I know why my provider does it this way, but they've never offered a good explanation. It's by far the most asymmetrical cable internet I've ever used.

It is also possible that your other machines ARE sucking up the bandwidth. Never do any speedtest runs until you are certain that all other machines are sleeping (or at least off the network) so you can get a true and accurate reading. You'll also want to do several readings at different times of day and night to get a better overall picture.

Your modem COULD also be part of the issue, certainly, but you'll want to narrow down other possible causes first.

When we got our new Airport Express we noticed a HUGE improvement in both speed (much more consistent) and stability (never loses signal now), not to mention the benefits of a 5GHz 802.11n for the local network and the ability to set up a separate guest network. We're VERY pleased with this latest Airport Express to put it mildly.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Chas -- very good points. I have actually been meaning to call my ISP to see what "plan" I am on. I think that will be my first step, although I would expect that with the amount I am paying, it should be one of the top speed plans!

I didn't think of shutting down the other devices while running a speed test, I will also give that a try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.