imac waking on it's own.

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for something to delete old history and cookie, kind of a tune up for my imac. Any suggestions are well come. Thanks. Tabitha:)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Clearing your browser cache will do this for you. But your question has nothing to do with your post title?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
As Raz0rEdge says: With Safari open, Click on the Safari icon in the top menu and from the drop down menu, select "Reset Safari". This will open a box or window allowing you to choose a wide range of things to delete including your history, top sites and lots more - caution: cleaning out some web data and cookies can affect automatic log ins meaning you have to log in manually. Ditto caution re "Autofill". Your choice.

Regarding cookies in general, Safari>Preferences>Privacy allows you to set your criteria for which cookies you will permit. In this same place, by clicking on "Details", you can view all cookies currently on your Mac and delete any ones you don't want manually (or, of course, all of them).

Third party apps, such as Cookie Stumbler will scan your Mac for Ad and Tracking Cookies and eliminate these for you, safely.

But none of this quite matches your "iMac waking on its own", as Raz0rEdge already said.

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Hello again, I did spill sweet ice tea on key board. I did clean it up but some keys are still a little sticky. Could this cause it to wake on it's own? Thanks for being patient with me. I did need the other answers too. :)

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I don't know.

But now that we are bit closer to your real difficulty, can you just tell us how you set your Mac to sleep?

Generally, the methods chosen include:

- going into System Preferences (by clicking on the Apple icon, extreme left top menu bar) and clicking on "System Preferences" and from there on "Energy Saver" and selecting the criteria for automatically allowing your Mac to go into Sleep Mode

- or, click on the Apple icon and Select "Sleep" from the drop down menu

- or, using the keyboard, Ctrl + eject which brings up a panel allowing you to choose to shut down or go to sleep

- or, again with the keyboard, Alt + Cmd + Eject which puts your Mac to sleep directly

So, how do you put your Mac in sleep mode? And when, and under what conditions, does it wake? And how often? And after what sort of time?

Then, I hope, we can help you.

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Hello, when I am done surfing. I push the same button to shut down except I only tap it. It use to stay asleep until I move mouse or pushed key on keyboard. Now I go to put to sleep and turn to walk away and it turns right back on (approximately 10-15 seconds. I have resorted to shutting completely down which take longer to come back up. And Genius bar suggested only putting to sleep.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Tabitha

Whilst the method you use is normally sound, it does need to be set up via System Preferences>Energy Saver. Possibly in your case the appropriate box has not been checked?

Anyhow, why not try one of the other methods I mentioned above, for example, clicking on the Apple Icon and then clicking on "Sleep" from the drop down menu. See if this fixes you problem.

Although Forum opinion does vary, most people agree with the Apple Genius guys that shutting down your Mac every time you're done is NOT a good plan. Allowing it/putting it to sleep is better.

Let us know if the method I mentioned (Apple Icon>Sleep) does the trick. If not, we'll think again.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.