• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

ABC News uses iCloud to track a stolen iPad to TSA officer's home

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Oops, makes you wonder how many other items may be in the Ramirez household that was originally being held at security - and then to go blame his wife for the theft?!?!?!?!???

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I know the guy was a thief, but while I have zero problem with ABC News going after the TSA or other organizations and the management structure. Singling one guy out of a corrupt and mismanaged system to me is wrong.

If they go after the system and managers they do us a service, but when they pick on one individual, to my mind they are destroying this guy's life for their own ratings.

Not trying to excuse the TSA guy, but I find this very troubling.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I know the guy was a thief, but while I have zero problem with ABC News going after the TSA or other organizations and the management structure. Singling one guy out of a corrupt and mismanaged system to me is wrong.

If they go after the system and managers they do us a service, but when they pick on one individual, to my mind they are destroying this guy's life for their own ratings.

Not trying to excuse the TSA guy, but I find this very troubling.

When I read the article…I was sort of thinking the same thing. But you know how these "media folks" gotta have their story…they just LOVE to drag someone thru the mud!!!:(

ABC was probably investigating many individuals…but this guy was probably the only one they had solid proof on. And of course…why did this idiot agree to speak with ABC??…unless they "duped" him initially with some bogus story they were doing…then ambushed him with the investigation they were doing on him!:(

Like you said…it doesn't excuse what he did…but he really is only a "small-fry"! Now after this story…all the folks that are doing the same exact thing (but weren't caught)…will continue doing it…and will just be EXTRA super careful about it. And we will still be left with the problem.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Yeah, it's easy to say they should go after the whole system, but it's most likely near impossible for just a news station to do this. What's pretty awesome is that this was somewhat easy to do. It would be harder to prove with other cases.

As for the jerk blaming his wife, I wouldn't mind punching him in the face.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
But the question presents - is it the TSA in general that is an issue (with regards to theft and poor training) or a group of corrupt employees?

It even mentioned:
In nine of the ten airports visited, passengers were asked to return to pick up their belongings, which were clearly labeled with their name and contact information.

It would seem (at least in this case since I personally believe there is a lot of problems with the TSA in general) that it is more isolated to individual employees.

The person was in a position of power (power over the item and how its return was handled or not handled) and they abused that power; I don't have a problem with that person being arrested and documented within the story, I somewhat (I say somewhat because I have seriously mixed feelings on it - it's possible if the person talked good information about improper procedures may have been brought to light) don't have an issue with them being confronted with regard to their actions and since he clammed up after being confronted with the evidence (and lying about the responsible party) it's not like we would get to find out if it's an overlooked (almost permitted) style of action for the TSA or if this is just one of a group of individual employees that are taking advantage of situations they are in due to poor policing and management or if these employees are just thieves and waiting to be caught.

It would seem that ABC baited in several of what is probably the locations with the most complaints against the TSA with regard to stolen or missing items; unfortunately for Ramirez, he took the bait (just like how car thieves take bait cars), he made a choice and got caught.

Now, that isn't to say that I don't see the TSA as a problematic organization that would sooner pay for a jar of confiscated peanut butter then replace a camera that may have been taken by a TSA agent (see: Recovering the spread: Mom forces TSA to shell out $3.99 for seized peanut butter - Red Tape )

I'm also not saying I'm all for confrontational news - but while I agree news agencies will do anything for ratings, sometimes the material that is brought out does instigate a fundamental change.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is no different from the news stories over the years about airline baggage handlers pilfering traveler's personal belongings from checked luggage and bags.

Very difficult to isolate these thefts without setting up a "sting operation" similar to ABC news. I applaud them for doing this and if it ruins the life of a thief who obviously refuses to take personal blame, then so be it. It provides a warning to others and a heads up to travelers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.