Personal Hotspot available free with iOS 6?

Reaction score
Hey friends,

Currently I'm using a jailbroken 4S. I have it jailbroken to be able to use the personal hotspot feature. A friend who recently upgraded to the iPhone 5 with iOS 6 told me that he now has the Personal Hotspot feature available. We are both using Verizon.

I'm wondering if the new iOS or the new phone was the cause of this feature now showing up... or perhaps a combination of both?

If it's just the iOS then I think I'll upgrade to 6... I just need the Personal Hotspot feature.

Thanks for any input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Here in Australia we have had the Personal Hotspot feture for the last two IOS upgrades. Cant tell you how it rolls there in the US/UK but we are as they say "the lucky country" lol

OP
J
Reaction score
Here in Australia we have had the Personal Hotspot feture for the last to IOS upgrades. Cant tell you how it rolls there in the US/UK but we are as they say "the lucky country" lol

thanks, but yeah, I'm hoping for some input from some US users...
preferably someone using a 4S with Verizon like me who has updated to iOS 6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.10 Yosemite // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S
I'm using a 4s with Verizon. When i updated to ios6 my hotspot continued to work. It must be the plan though because my friend with the same phone and Verizon and the hotspot doesn't work on her phone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My personal hotspot has been working with Verizon since 5.1.1 and it continues to work with 6.0. I don't think the personal hotspot with Verizon works straight out of the box though. I had to turn it on through cellular services on my iPad 3. As far as I'm aware, it works with all Verizon data plans on the iPhone and iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
thanks, but yeah, I'm hoping for some input from some US users...
preferably someone using a 4S with Verizon like me who has updated to iOS 6

I gathered that, but i have been rubbing it in to my US counterparts ever since i found out about this feature and the US didnt have it . . . . ;P

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If Verizon is like AT&T... no tethering if you're in the grandfathered unlimited data plan - you have to pay an extra charge or move to a limited data plan and they'll include it at no extra charge.

OP
J
Reaction score
looking for others who had a 4S with Verizon on 5.1.1 who had not paid Verizon for the Personal Hotspot capability and therefore did not have it...who then upgraded to iOS 6.

would like to know if the Personal Hotspot option now shows up after the upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.