Secondary Click - Mouse Prefs

Reaction score
Hi again, I keep coming home to find someone has been messing in my System Prefs - Mouse and switched on the secondary click function... grrr! With the old Apple this Pref was a Control Panel and if I didn't want anyone messing with it I just dragged it out of the Cont Panels folder and hid it somewhere else. Now it seems you can't remove or disable the preferences, or can you? It's annoying as in an effort to make the new Mac as idiot-proof as possible they seem to have removed a lot of the functionality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Why don't you just set up your account auto-lock after x number of minutes and require a password when logging in, waking from sleep, and after a screen saver has been active? Whoever else is using your Mac can use their own user account and mess with those settings to their heart's content.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi thanks for that. Sounds like a good idea and I would if I knew how! I've looked in prefs again, security and accounts and can't see how to do it. Sorry for being a dummy!

Re your sig, I take it you aren't in favour of 3rd party security for Mac? I'd intuitively thought it probably wasn't a good idea, it's a premium product so they ought to be able to sort their own security!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi thanks for that. Sounds like a good idea and I would if I knew how! I've looked in prefs again, security and accounts and can't see how to do it. Sorry for being a dummy!

Assuming you are on Mountain Lion:
System Preferences » Users & Groups » Login Options
Remove your account from the Automatic login option.

System Preferences » Security & Privacy » General
Do the obvious here.

EDIT: It looks like you can actually skip the first step entirely via the second step... it has an option to disable the Auto Login feature.

Re your sig, I take it you aren't in favour of 3rd party security for Mac? I'd intuitively thought it probably wasn't a good idea, it's a premium product so they ought to be able to sort their own security!

I don't disfavor it, though they are largely unnecessary for the typical user. The problem is that many of these pieces of software tend to cause various issues for some users and we need to know about them when troubleshooting. Some software like MacKeeper just outright needs to be removed because they are so problematic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.