How to NOT have Address Book and Mail When I Startup

Reaction score
Whenever I open up, up pops my Address Book, open, and Mail. I sometimes do a force quit of everything, hoping things will work well. Other times, I close them by the pull down of program to close them. They still open when I restart, even if I leave the machine off for a while. I'm frustrated. Can anyone help?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
First, make sure that you're not using the 'Reopen windows when logging back in" option in the Shutdown dialog:

00000314.png

Second, make sure that when you close an application window, that you actually "Quit" the application by doing Command+Q. You can check on this by pressing Command+Tab and as you tab through, move your finger over to the Q for each that you want to quit.

Lastly, make sure they're not set to start in Login Items. You can find this in Apple Menu >> System Preferences >> Users & Groups (AKA Accounts, in older OS X versions) >> Your Username >> Login Items tab:

00000315.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.