Which MP refurb

Reaction score
So which one would you choose?

I make short web movies for the internal news channel, design posters and banners and the like in Ps, certificates and such in Ai, nothing really processor bound to the point where processor power is it. I need 16 to 24GB of RAM really nothing special..

I'm thinking I'm going to go completely baseline because in all reality if I upgrade it'll be to a 6 core and not a faster 4.

Screen Shot 2012-09-27 at 9.59.15 PM.png

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Of the two I'd have to go for the 3.2GHz model, but I'm waiting for the refresh hoping they add Thunderbolt and USB 3.0.

OP
Germany_chris
Reaction score
Of the two I'd have to go for the 3.2GHz model, but I'm waiting for the refresh hoping they add Thunderbolt and USB 3.0.

None of my computers have USB3 so all my external starage is USB2/eSATA..TB will be way cool in 4 years but it's not really in my decision process..

Though I do understand the I'm not buying anything until it's modern justification..heck there are hackintoshes out there with 2 TB ports USB3 ports and eSATA ports..:Smirk:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As Razormac mentioned…if you can hold out…there's been rumors about new Mac Pro models. It's been 2010 since we've seen a truely new (non-server) Mac Pro model. Of course the question is when…and assuming that your budget can handle the price of a new Mac Pro model.

But of the two models you listed…I would also go with the 3.2ghz model. More ram…faster cpu.

- Nick

p.s. I'm also confused about how the Apple store is identifying the two Mac Pros you listed. The 3.2ghz Mac Pro is really a 2010 model…not a June, 2012???

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Remember they were spec bumped in the summer..using the same classic processors..

Yeah you're right. I was checking Everymac.com…and they only listed the new Server Mac Pro 12-core models…but there were some custom configuration quad-core speed bumped 2010 Nehalem models.

The conventional wisdom/rumors still say that some new Mac Pro models will be out soon (potentially the last of the Mac pro's). So if you're in the market for a new Mac Pro…it might be kind of special to purchase the last of the line.:)

- Nick

OP
Germany_chris
Reaction score
My feeling is that they'll be gone next year..

The can have the last of the Power PC and the last of the MP line. It'd be kinda cool :0)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.