My Mac speaks to me when coming out of sleep. I think it's French.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Macbook Pro | 2.5 GHz
Dear Mac-Forums,

My Dictation and Speech is set to Serena, a sassy Brit, and at one time I had her tell me the time every quarter hour. That is it though and I eventually had to stop that as I found it too intrusive. Now, for the last little while when I open my Mac it speaks to me, rather fast, in a different woman's voice. I think it's french, the last word sounds like "est"

Although I don't mind it when girls talk to me, she tends to blurt this out when I'm in the library at school. It's awkward. People stare. To top it off Siri was willing to tolerate Serena but I think she's getting upset that this new woman keeps thrusting into my life. Yesterday I asked Siri to give me directions to a local pizza place and she sent me to a proctologist in Portugal. Or I think that was what it was, although it did kind of look like the gates of Mordor in the Maps app.

How can I figure out where this voice is coming from and how to shut it off?

Signed,
Not-So-Lonely in Denver.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Please be careful with the inappropriate language in the thread title.

As far as turning off the voice…go to:

- Apple Menu
- System Preferences
- Dictation & Speech

Then turn off/deselect any settings related to the speaking of text & commands.

Thanks,

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Est is French for east so it's possible that this is tied to some sort of navigation application. Have you recently installed any mapping or location software?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Although I don't mind it when girls talk to me, she tends to blurt this out when I'm in the library at school. It's awkward. People stare.

By the way…a quick and easy fix to this embarrassing situation…is to simply "mute" your computers volume…or turn the volume down to zero.:)

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Which you should be doing anyway at the library. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.